Notices

Octane Booster?

Old 12-20-2016, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I personally, have never melted or damaged an engine down , from gas. I fill the boat up where ever its convenient, as around here, alot of stations don't have room for a truck and 38ft boat to pull into. I've seen more guys melt down engines , and their engine builder always comes up with the same story "you sir, got some bad gas" .

The average person probably burns 1000 gallons a year per car/truck in their household. How often are dealerships replacing and rebuilding engines due to melted pistons and other carnage from all this "bad gas" everyone is getting?

Not saying its impossible to get bad gas, but I bet 1 out of 10 engine failures blamed on bad gas, was actually from bad gas, and not something else. Especially, when a particular builder, seems to have half a dozen customers engines that melted down in the past couple years, and they all heard the same thing "you sir, got bad gas".

Just last week, a co worker's F150 died at work, and wouldnt restart. Of course,, he said "I think I got a bad tank of gas, it was running fine, until I gassed up this morning" . I told him I doubt it, something else probably is the issue. Had truck towed to shop. What the issue was? Fuel pump relay.
Mild, I like your comment, good point(s). So, take for instance a high performance car engine / drag package / power adder. etc. How likely is it that pistons get burned up on the street from inferior gas (taking marina fuel out of the equation) ? Say, using 87 octane making 10# of boost min.

I'm not talking about a stock package, like a C7 ZO6, more along the lines of a aftermarket build.

I would agree that an engine builder would be quick to blame a failure on bad fuel. It protects their reputation, and it's likely the Customer does not have any data to back up a tuning or rigging problem that may have led to the cause.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by tgorbett
Phragle,

Could you elaborate on the "overoctane" comment. If you are running premium fuel and don't necessarily need it, how does this decrease performance? Thanks.
To simplify in plain english...

The fuel charge in an engine doesnt explode, it burns. Generally the faster it burns the more power the fuel charge can make, up to the point it explodes, which is bad. The more octane the slower the fuel charge burns.

Its winter, you go out to breakfast but your truck gets stuck in the driveway.

3 guys on there way in (lower octane because they are hungry and want to get in to eat) they push your truck out real quick because they want to get in to eat.

3 guys on their way out (high octane they just ate and want to take a nap) They take a while to push your truck out because they are full, fat and lazy so they push slow

Bubba rams your stuck truck with his plow at 40 mph because your blocking the driveway and he is freaking hungry(detonation,. way too low octane) this is NOT good
Old 12-20-2016, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That has to be the best way I heard something described. After reading it, I fully understand though!
Old 12-20-2016, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
I have read that it turns plugs orange which would indicate Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl . (MMT) Other companies use it and have had suspension problems, which could be why Boostane advertises a superior carrier......
Bingo! MMT is not good for your engine and it does not boost the octane number...
Old 12-20-2016, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

To simplify in plain english...

The fuel charge in an engine doesnt explode, it burns. Generally the faster it burns the more power the fuel charge can make, up to the point it explodes, which is bad. The more octane the slower the fuel charge burns.

Its winter, you go out to breakfast but your truck gets stuck in the driveway.

3 guys on there way in (lower octane because they are hungry and want to get in to eat) they push your truck out real quick because they want to get in to eat.

3 guys on their way out (high octane they just ate and want to take a nap) They take a while to push your truck out because they are full, fat and lazy so they push slow

Bubba rams your stuck truck with his plow at 40 mph because your blocking the driveway and he is freaking hungry(detonation,. way too low octane) this is NOT good
To expand a little further....

If lower octane makes more power, why do strong motors want more of it?

So we go back to the 3 average guys pushing on the back of your truck, they cant push all that hard. now take 6 big buff guys and they all of a sudden push real hard and it dents your tailgate.. (not enough octane) or they all sort of pretend to push like skinny jean wearing, man bun having bearded douche flute huffers (too much octane) and it doesnt make much force BUT..if all 6 guys push with controlled force they make a lot more power than the original 3 guys
Old 12-20-2016, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

That was the perfect explanation phragle ^ !
Old 12-20-2016, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know about boostane. I tow my boat and put 93 pump gas in it. Sometimes we cant find 92 or higher gas on the water. Ive used some other additives in the past without any problems. Maybe we were just lucky. I also dont run it hard until putting in fresh 93. The boost does not kick in on my motors till 4k on the tacs.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Always been my understanding that as long as you aren't pouring boost to the engine since most are setup with low compression you can limp back to some good fuel as long as you aren't pushing it hard.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To expand a little further....

If lower octane makes more power, why do strong motors want more of it?

So we go back to the 3 average guys pushing on the back of your truck, they cant push all that hard. now take 6 big buff guys and they all of a sudden push real hard and it dents your tailgate.. (not enough octane) or they all sort of pretend to push like skinny jean wearing, man bun having bearded douche flute huffers (too much octane) and it doesnt make much force BUT..if all 6 guys push with controlled force they make a lot more power than the original 3 guys
Great analogy!

I have a first hand experience with a demo on octane. Years ago in shop class we had some manufacturers do demo's for us. Snap-on, Champion, AC Delco, and a few others. The Champion guy had a GREAT demo, and went like this:

To demonstrate the relationship of detonation with regards to octane, ignition timing, etc, he took a clear plastic tube that was capped/sealed on one end and put a small cup of "regular" fuel in it. Then he took a rubber ball and inserted it into the tube and rolled the tube back and forth with his hand over the open end. This was to atomize the gas. Then he removed his hand and took a lighter and lit the open end....... There was a HUGE FLASH AND BOOM, and scared the crap out of the classroom!!!

Next, he did the same thing, but with "Premium" gas. Added the high test gas, put the rubber ball in, atomized the fuel, and asked for someone in the class to light it. No one wanted to go near that, but he convinced one unlucky guy in the front row to step up. Well, he did, and instead of a big boom, there was a slow and controlled burn with a blue flame, no flash, that traveled from the lit end down the tube to the bottom. More like a slow WHOOOOSH instead of a boom.

That was the difference between regular and premium. Regular hammers the top of the piston for a short burn (and potential for pre-ignition or detonation), and premium pushes the top of the piston with a longer controlled burn. That is why you can run advanced timing with premium and not have any knock, but if you run the same advance with regular it will knock like crazy. Some folks thought their non high performance cars and trucks needed to use premium to get rid of knock, when in reality they should have just set their timing correctly!
Old 12-21-2016, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

^^^ good stuff
Also blows my mind when people use race gas on the dyno to tune their engines .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.