ScreamingEagleBoats New 22 foot catamaran

Old 12-27-2016, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 532 Likes on 329 Posts
Default ScreamingEagleBoats New 22 foot catamaran

ScreamingEagleBoats
www.screamingeagleboats.com

owner/builder - Todd Lamb

Last edited by noli; 12-27-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:34 AM
Registered

SportBoatDesigns by noli
ScreamingEagleBoats' relentless drive to build new models and expand into new territories is evident in their new product; a newly designed 22 foot big water cat with a wide beam. Todd Lamb -owner/builder ScreamingEagleBoats - is about to embark on lengthening and widening an already proven 21 foot cat hull. The new model can be powered by a single or twin outboard motors. The hull that will be used to baseline the bigger cat was purchased from Jeff Haag of Trick Powerboats, the same hull that Jeff used to build the molds of his Trick 21 cat.

As seen in the accompanying photos, Todd Lamb’s shop, located in Bellefontaine OH, is busy removing the deck of the 21 Trick powerboat. When many boat factories are closed this week, Todd is working on overdrive to begin this project that he’s been planning for a while now. He’s hard at work amidst his current Talon boat deliverables.

When asked what specifications the new model will have, Todd said “…will be widening it 10-12 inches and lengthening it 12 inches. It will also be modified so that the driver can be on the port side or the starboard side, it will have a modernized look and it will have a full center pod option like the Talons”.

I particularly like this model because for one, this is already a proven hull but need to be refreshed and modernized, and secondly I usually do my boating in the ocean where a taller, longer boat is always welcome. And thirdly, if this new model follow Todd’s excellent pricing structure with build quality, I am sure this new cat will be a winner.

When I asked Todd what motivated him to build this new model, he said...

"My whole life I have lived on the east side of the US. In my opinion the top two boats in this size range on this side of the US have been the 21' Skater and the Talon 22. In the past I was more of a 21 Skater guy, because there were not that many Talons in this part of the US. The first Talon I ever rode in was a 22 footer with twin 2.4's back in the early 90's named "Screaming Eagle" hints where I came up with our company name. The boat ran in the 115 plus range and handled excellent. I remember it not having the porpoise of the 21' Skaters and turned a lot better. Nobody wants to build the smaller boats anymore, because there is very little profit in them compared to the larger boats, but what has happened over the years of all the manufactures going bigger, is they have left holes in the market for entry level cat owners or just guys who like the smaller cats. This is why I decided in late 2013 to switch from being an all race boat shop to more of the recreational side of boating and when I saw the chance to pick up up both of the Talon 22 molds this set everything in motion.

In 2014 I saw another opportunity to pick up a Skater copy 21 from Jeff Haag of Trick Boats. I actually was going to scrap the project even though there was a lot of interest, but a customer of mine named George Delgado bought the hull and said "let's become partner's and you build the boat you have been wanting to." Without George, this project would not be taking place. So the way we see it, is we are trying to be the Chevy, Ford and Dodge one stop shop for boats".

Last edited by noli; 12-28-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Registered

Photo credit: Karen Lamb

Last edited by noli; 12-27-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:02 PM
Registered

I asked Todd what motivated him to build this new model, he said

"My whole life I have lived on the east side of the US. In my opinion the top two boats in this size range on this side of the US have been the 21' Skater and the Talon 22. In the past I was more of a 21 Skater guy, because there were not that many Talons in this part of the US. The first Talon I ever rode in was a 22 footer with twin 2.4's back in the early 90's named "Screaming Eagle" hints where I came up with our company name. The boat ran in the 115 plus range and handled excellent. I remember it not having the porpoise of the 21' Skaters and turned a lot better. Nobody wants to build the smaller boats anymore, because there is very little profit in them compared to the larger boats, but what has happened over the years of all the manufactures going bigger, is they have left holes in the market for entry level cat owners or just guys who like the smaller cats. This is why I decided in late 2013 to switch from being an all race boat shop to more of the recreational side of boating and when I saw the chance to pick up up both of the Talon 22 molds this set everything in motion.

In 2014 I saw another opportunity to pick up a Skater copy 21 from Jeff Haag of Trick Boats. I actually was going to scrap the project even though there was a lot of interest, but a customer of mine named George Delgado bought the hull and said "let's become partner's and you build the boat you have been wanting to." Without George, this project would not be taking place. So the way we see it, is we are trying to be the Chevy, Ford and Dodge one stop shop for boats".

Last edited by noli; 12-30-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:09 PM
Registered

The perimeter of the hull has been cut with a SawzAll and will remove the deck. As you will notice, the edges have been sharpened all over the boat. This is done because the mold-build step will round out the sharp edges, thus if you start with a sharp edge, the mold's edges will be just right. This hull was already used to build the molds of the Trick 21. I think it's important that someone revives these dying hulls as the big companies no longer can afford to build them at an affordable price point.

Last edited by noli; 12-31-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:22 PM
Registered

Todd Lamb just released pics of his latest project, The lengthening and widening of a Trick 21 cat.

Happy New Year !

Old 01-03-2017, 09:54 PM
Registered

Removal of the aluminum tanks. The floor was first cut and removed exposing the tanks and the tunnel. The tanks were encapsulated with foam. After the removal of the tanks, the area was cleaned up.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:41 PM
Registered

ScreamingEagleBoats collection of new motors for their upcoming builds.

Last edited by noli; 01-28-2017 at 06:43 PM.