Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   26 Sonic the pros & cons ?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/34359-26-sonic-pros-cons.html)

Brian Crane 10-06-2002 07:30 PM

26 Sonic the pros & cons ??

What are some of the pros & cons of the 26 Prowler.And what kind of speed with a 496 mag HO & how do they handle rough water?

Pure Energy 10-06-2002 07:31 PM

No cons!!! Great in rough water. Speed with 496 probably somewhere around 70.

Sydwayz 10-06-2002 09:47 PM

Check your PM. I have a 1999 Sonic 260 Prowler, with the HP500EFI. I love this boat. Do a search on 'sonic prowler' in this and the Sonic forums. There is a wealth of information on this boat. Several very enthusiastic owners of this boat, on this board; all very friendly, including myself.

puder 10-06-2002 11:40 PM

i haev an older 26' scaerab that i need to move ASAP. It is being totaly redone. Everything shy of a paint job. Brand new engine, drive, exhaust, interior, dash, guages, contro, k-planes. She's an 87 and i have her finished in a few weeks i'd love to make a deal on it. I foudn a new toy and i need tomove the scarab before i can go ahead with the other project. E-mail me if you at at interested. You will get a lot on boat for the $$$ [email protected]

26sonic 10-07-2002 02:52 AM

i have a 1998 26 prowler with 502mpi and love it !! feels and handles like a much larger boat, high free board , no boat of this size has the cabin space that this has . have added hyd. steering and vortec max flow kit and will add exhaust next year . boat will run 70mph gps with 24p bravo 1 prop, runs alittle faster with 23p mirage plus labbed prop but 4 blade rides better over all. runs great in rough water. my advice is look at and ride in one , i'm sure you'll be convinced.

CJC 10-07-2002 09:19 AM

While we're on the subject here.......I have always thought the 28 Sonic would be my dream boat (big enough to handle some chop yet small enough to do some trailering). I have heard the 28 is an absolute mess. :confused: :confused: First I heard it was only bad if it had twins, then I've heard power doesn't matter - twins vs. single. Anybody have any experience with the 28?? Should I forget the 28 and go 26? 31' is just not in the budget yet.

Sydwayz 10-07-2002 11:02 AM

CJC,

I have one and only one suggestion for you. BUY TOOL OLD's 31!! Check out the Sonic section for details on this boat.

Also, I would not call the 28SS a mess, just not really needed in the line-up. Jay Ross just deceided this too, it appears, and I do not believe they are building them anymore. See:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...ighlight=sonic

On the other end of it; the 26 Sonic is a great boat. I am glad I have one, and did not look for a 28SS. The 28 is a bit too narrow in the engine room for twins; even small blocks. Most of them have twins, but they are in there SO tight, it takes 2-3 hours just to change spark plugs. Go for the 26 with stock power; and when you get bored, strap on a blower. You will have all you hoped for and then some.

Mark in So. MD 10-07-2002 02:12 PM

Brian Crane,

I, like the others, think the 26 Sonic is a great boat. They pretty much covered everything about them but let me add that I have ridden in 7, 26foot Sonic's. 4 with 502mpi's, 2 with HO's and one with an HP500.

502 no mods tops at 67. I have one w/ this setup.
496HO tops at 68.

Mine is just under 2mph slower than my friends 27 fever but that is the only down fall that I can see verses other manufacters.

BTW, mine is for sale, 2001, super loaded for 49,900. I will have pics up in a few days when I get my digital camera. email me if you have any questions.

offshore score 10-07-2002 02:33 PM

the 28 is not to bad to work on with small blocks