Engine Hatch Mirror Options / Tips

Notices

Engine Hatch Mirror Options / Tips

Old 01-02-2017, 06:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Engine Hatch Mirror Options / Tips

I have been gathering info on choosing a material and install method for hatch mirrors in our Fountain. From my research I have found people using polycarbonate or #8 mirror polished stainless steel. Install methods from drilling floating grommets in the poly (This was factory in our previous Fastech), 3m emblem double side tape, stainless fasteners, or a marine adhesive. What about a new option, the current mirror vinyls used for vehicle wraps? Anyone tried it? Just wondering if it will look like Aluminum foil or nearly mirror like.
Any material, install, or general recommendations would be much appreciated.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope someone has tried this with good results. Looking forward to finding out!!
Old 01-03-2017, 07:58 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I had never thought about the vinyl graphics until. Solid idea!

I would look into perhaps "wrapping"...
...1/4" thick Lexan. You might even be able to have that vinyl printed with your boat's name or another design of your choice before it's applied.
All you need is a sharp/new drill bit and a normal hand drill to pop holes in it. I would drill the holes one size bigger than the screws; maybe even 2 sizes.

And also...
I bought the first listing here:https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+Washers+Bolts
...for my Corvette's license plate bolts the other day. The exact same product was listed on a Corvette retailer site for 4X more.
(Corvette Tax, roughly akin/equal to Marine Tax, but WAY less than Aviation Tax!)

You may could use the aluminum washers to dress up the screws you apply them with. I would likely try the screws around the perimeter, as well as 3M brand double sided tape in the center of the Lexan sheet. You can also buy neoprene washers at Lowes/Home Depot that you could pad between the Lexan & aluminum washer for "soft contact" on the Vinyl.

You may be on to something here. Check with your local glass shop for sheets of Lexan costs.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:49 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i get a 1/4" mirrored acrylic sheet pretty cheap. last one i had under two hundred in both pieces cut to fit. Cut vinyl will not look like mirrored acrylic it will have a mottled look, it wont look bad if done right but will not be a precision reflective surface.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-03-2017, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Cool thread. I'd love to see pics and what was used as material and mounting style
Old 01-03-2017, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

I used mirror 1/4 or 3/16 acrylic and an ass load of 3M Tape. Worked well. I did this twice, once on the Top Gun and once on the Mistress. I also used a piece of polished SS. I drilled a Hole every 6-8 " around the perimeter and finished it off with some nice stainless hardware. Acrylic was lighter, but I got the piece of polished Stainless at a good price and couldn't pass it up. If I had to do it again I would get the Acrylic. Glass shop will cut exact dimensions and even put holes if you want mechanical fasteners.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

My old boat did not use screws - some form of adhesive. It held very well.

I'll ask the new owner (who is also the previous owner who installed the mirrors) what he used.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]563353[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Engine Hatch Mirror Options / Tips-575s-b.jpg  
Old 01-03-2017, 01:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Under one of my hatches I have a double fender holder. If going the acrylic route what would be the best scenario to A) mount over the acrylic and have no reason to worry about cracking the acrylic B) template the points of contact for the holder into the acrylic and make cutouts for the part to bolt right back in its original spot without contacting the acrylic imagine the acrylic "picture framing" the fender holder, C) stop the acrylic short of the fender mount, no contact, no picture frame, no template needed.

Last edited by VoodooRob; 01-03-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Very nice!!!

Padraig
Old 01-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Voodo go here https://www.hpmanufacturing.com/hous...-retail-store/ they right here in cleveland, I bought sheets from them, and they have everything you could possibly wish for in that material. They can also cut it and make provisions for any holes. I just had them cut my piece and bevel the edges and i used nice stainless steel acorn nuts to attach.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.