Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Opinions of surface drives >

Opinions of surface drives

Notices

Opinions of surface drives

Old 10-07-2002, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

yes , i was comparing the bravo to the surface drive. unless i'm losing it don't you have to run a transmission? that adds a lot of cost and takes up space in the cockpit. don't get me wrong i know surface drives are stronger etc. besides who wants to dive of the transom with a couple of blender blades back there
Old 10-07-2002, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

After reading all the posts about broken bravos, I've seriously considered a surface drive for my single engine 28' Magnum hull which I'm rigging. Has anyone on this board used anything similar in a deep V ??
The Pulse drive offers trimability but a rudder to steer with. It also has a built in "swim platform" over the "blender beaters". The Pulse drive only trims 11 degrees, compared to the Arneson which is 15 degrees.
The Pulse drive is less expensive then the Arneson, the Arneson Drive also offers a "drop box" for large oil pan engines.....What do I do?????
BOB G.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bravos shouldnt even be compared to Arnesons, they arnt even close. Arnesons are way cheaper compared to is competitor, the dry sump #6.

A complete kit for twins was about 28K, for every little last thing that you need.

A new #6, for a single, is about 22K and i dont know much about these but I am sure that is without the transmission.

As far as less cockpit space, nope, you dont even need to move your engines, the trans fits in with an ext. box like piece.

Ron P, as far as Poker Runners, you will see me with Arnesons next year when I get my cat and enter poker runs. But I too have that question, why dont more people use them.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:41 PM
Registered

These are some links that talk about them too:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=30856

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=33999
Old 10-07-2002, 02:46 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I also don't understand why surface drives are not used more. I have a 42' Harley Sportfish, with fixed surface drives. It will go 50mph wot w/twin 410 hp engines. This is a 15,000 lb+ boat, I doubt that it would work this good with a couple of Bravo drives.
I am currently in the market for a pair of good used ASD6 or ASD 8 Arneson drives so I can have trimable drives. If anyone hears or knows someone who can help, please let me know.

Steve H
Old 10-07-2002, 02:48 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I'm asking becuase after riding on Jetset and seeing how those four rudders hold the water in a corner, I am no longer conserned about steering.

Bob, the rooster tail is worth it alone. You should call Howard Arneson and get the poop. I think the hull needs a little rocker to make them work. Or was that with a blackhawk drive?

To me these seem like the answer to everyone's drive problems. I just don't know why people don't usually list them as one of thier choices. Everyone except Bob that is.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:52 PM
Banned

Just so happens, I was going thru a marine salvage yard today, when I stumbled (literally) across this.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions of surface drives-a3.jpg  
Old 10-07-2002, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow Cuda, WHats up with that ? The top looks like a Kaama drive . Must be a real old one Mine are on a 1988 boat and dont' look like that .Or someone cut the top off mine !

MArk, Is that price for 2 of everything ?? Trans, extension boxes , drives etc.?? WOW . Sounds too good to be true !

Steve , I see them for sale in the back of Powerboat magazine from time to time .

Sure seams like everybody should have them doesn't it !!
Old 10-07-2002, 05:22 PM
JGB
Registered

Steve H, tell us about the 42 Harley. How is the construction, rigging, finish, and perfromance. You see 50 mph with twin 410hp diesels on a 15000 lb boat. I would love to read your experiences with the boat. What kind of things have gone wrong? What year is yours.

Sorry for all the questions just interested in hearing from Harley owners and their first hand experience.

Thanks a bunch in advance

James
Old 10-07-2002, 05:53 PM
Banned

I believe is was an A-6. He wanted $2200 for everything. Has the steering and trim too.

Quick Reply: Opinions of surface drives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.