First Eliminator Boat with Resin Infusion process

Notices

First Eliminator Boat with Resin Infusion process

Old 01-24-2017, 11:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by lavey jr
Not too sure... I've never seen in person nor picture proof of an actual autoclave in performance boating.

Post-cure and Autoclave is very different. During post-cure, it's essentially that. The mold and part is put into a big oven, such as powder coated products, to either further maximize the cure of the part or if epoxy resin is used it brings the resin up to its particular temperature it requires to cure. Autoclave is the process when the part in the mold is put under vacuum (vacuum bag) then at the same time while being under vacuum it goes into the oven/room that is sealed and the entire room is heated and pressurized. Essentially the part itself receives double pressure and when heat is also introduced it allows the resin/carbon to flow together on a molecular level becoming one.
Only reason I ask is I've worked in aerospace for a long time. An autoclave to hold a hull is a BIG autoclave an expensive autoclave too. GKN and Boeing have them but I cant imagine anyone else that has one that is bigger than a small mini van.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:11 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Only reason I ask is I've worked in aerospace for a long time. An autoclave to hold a hull is a BIG autoclave an expensive autoclave too. GKN and Boeing have them but I cant imagine anyone else that has one that is bigger than a small mini van.
Funny. I'm a Navy Anviation Engineer so I know exactly what you're saying. An expensive autoclave is an understatement to any performance boat manufacturer to actually have a system that can support the requirements of a REAL autoclave.

But nonetheless, the infusion process that Eliminator, and various other companies are doing, is a great step above the standard "old school" lamination.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Funny. I'm a Navy Anviation Engineer so I know exactly what you're saying. An expensive autoclave is an understatement to any performance boat manufacturer to actually have a system that can support the requirements of a REAL autoclave.

But nonetheless, the infusion process that Eliminator, and various other companies are doing, is a great step above the standard "old school" lamination.

So they arent talking about the same thing here right?

Even if boats were a million each (which they arent) its hard to afford one of these...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564101[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails First Eliminator Boat with Resin Infusion process-article-1308128-0ae9be2b000005dc-628_634x420.jpg  
Old 01-25-2017, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Outerlimits uses an oven for its cure process but not an Autoclave.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not too sure... I've never seen in person nor picture proof of an actual autoclave in performance boating.

Post-cure and Autoclave is very different. During post-cure, it's essentially that. The mold and part is put into a big oven, such as powder coated products, to either further maximize the cure of the part or if epoxy resin is used it brings the resin up to its particular temperature it requires to cure. Autoclave is the process when the part in the mold is put under vacuum (vacuum bag) then at the same time while being under vacuum it goes into the oven/room that is sealed and the entire room is heated and pressurized. Essentially the part itself receives double pressure and when heat is also introduced it allows the resin/carbon to flow together on a molecular level becoming one.
Seems like heated post curing is rare in North America but I thought Outerlimits had one, Greenline Yachts which has a line of hybrid diesels and is built in Slovenia has a full size oven for post curing and a small autoclave for parts. I was with the builder yesterday at a show and he could not grasp that the 39 nortech CC was using traditional lay up methods. He simply could not wrap his head around why this tech is not more common in North America
Old 01-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

So what would be the difference in an autoclave and an oven?
Old 01-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bostonirish
So what would be the difference in an autoclave and an oven?
Post #20 has the differences