Notices

Hammond Boats

Old 07-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
That is a real Hammond,and one of the last Bob built.The RRH in the hull # says it all,RRH stands for Robert R. Hammond.
Magicfloat - I just bought my father's old '84 Hammond V1940-XL St. Tropez as my first boat. I have the RRH serial as well S/N# RRH03360M84E. It has the 260 MerCruiser Thunderbolt. All the nameplates say Austin, TX as well, so I'm hoping I have one of the last of Bob's Hammonds. It is registered as a 1984 and I'm guessing that's what the 84 in the S/N designates.

It's been a great boat for our whole family for the last 25 years and I felt priveledged that my father sold it to me. A great buy for me considering I know practically all the history behind the boat. The Boat is in great shape, has been dry docked at Smith Lake in Jasper, AL since it was new. I've hauled it over to Georgia and it's new home is Lake Allatoona north of Atlanta. I'm pretty proud of it!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Every Hammond on Smith Lake came from us.Please email me your dad's name,I'm sure I will remember him,and the boat.Most of them stayed at Duskin Point Marina.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bamahead
Magicfloat - I just bought my father's old '84 Hammond V1940-XL St. Tropez as my first boat. I have the RRH serial as well S/N# RRH03360M84E. It has the 260 MerCruiser Thunderbolt. All the nameplates say Austin, TX as well, so I'm hoping I have one of the last of Bob's Hammonds. It is registered as a 1984 and I'm guessing that's what the 84 in the S/N designates.

It's been a great boat for our whole family for the last 25 years and I felt priveledged that my father sold it to me. A great buy for me considering I know practically all the history behind the boat. The Boat is in great shape, has been dry docked at Smith Lake in Jasper, AL since it was new. I've hauled it over to Georgia and it's new home is Lake Allatoona north of Atlanta. I'm pretty proud of it!

Nelems Marine? The sticker is still on the back of the boat

I'll msg you privately with that information.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Registered

Nelems Marine? The sticker is still on the back of the boat.

I'll msg you privately with that info.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Registered

Hey Magicfloat - I couldn't sent you a private message and wasn't sure about e-mailing you through Boat Trader, so here's my reply...

My father is Henry Leonard. He purchased that boat right off the Nelems showroom floor in 1984, at your old location on Hwy 78 just past the Warrior Bridge. I was with him when he bought it, I'm his son Brian. I remember it was about a week or so after the '84 B'ham Boat Show, and I recall him spending a good amount of time at the Nelems booth there, he was probably talking to you!

We always kept it in dry storage at Duncan Bridge, until about 1 month ago, when I finally talked him into selling it to me! I have lived in Atlanta for the last 10 years. I trailered the boat (first time since you dropped it off) and hauled it over here. I actually bought the trailer from Duskin that same day.

It needs a minor bit of bellows work (after 25 years) but still runs and handles absolutely fantastic. The interior is still in perfect shape, the wood and floors are holding up good. Bob Hammond knew how to build boats. I'll get some better pictures of it online and send them over. Glad to meet you!

-Brian Leonard
Old 07-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

small world, you are lucky you hit upon this site. Magicfloat/Robert Nelems is a long time well respected member of this site. Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to OSO. It sounds like you have a lot of great memories and good times with the boat so I am glad it is staying in your family. Now for the question I am curious about, who does the house in the pic belong to

On the issue of Private Messaging, the site is set up so only paying members can PM, I also thought only paying members can post pictures but I see you did that so that his me confused.

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 07-20-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Registered

LOL Ms PatriYacht...that house is across the street from my Dad's house. It belongs to some lawyer in B'ham. The folks' house is big but it's nowhere near that extravagant! What's funny about it is that there are paper blinds in all the windows of that house. Hey I guess if you unload on a house that big...heheh

It is a very small world! In Googling for research on the boat I came across this site. There's actually more info on Hammonds on this one thread than just about anywhere else on the net. I spent a lot of my youth on Smith Lake and Nelems is basically a household name 'round those parts Robert sold my dad a great boat, and it's more or less a member of the family!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

You are making me feel old,Brian,but that's OK.I am old. I got a chuckle from your comment about our "old" location.We are still there,haven't gone anywhere in 43 years.I do remember your dad,and your posts bring back memories of the old days. We sure did sell a lots of Hammonds back in the day. I talked to Bob Hammond a couple of weeks ago. He is doing well, still living in Austin where it all started with Glastron,then Hammond.Good days,thanks for the reminder. Robert
Old 07-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Just saw this thread again....

My 84 2150 Challenger is serial # RRH 03232M84 bought new in August 1983. MidState Marine in Sutton, WV.

I'm original owner. Still the best boat in its class out there..
Other than a few small spider cracks in the gel the boat is still flawless. I redid the interior in 06 with new upholstery, carbon fiber dash with Gaffrig gauges and a 470hp 385ci SBC. I also added an Alpha SS drive. Currently runs 80GPS @ 6200rpms. Handles that speed with ease.

Here's some more info.....

http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb...php?f=21&t=988
Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robert why did he quit making these boats, sure sounds like they were a great boat with a loyal following.

Quick Reply: Hammond Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.