Notices

Boating on the Ohio River

Old 01-23-2017, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

The river only gets clear when it stops moving. About every year the EPA does a study and list the cleanliness of the waters in a 50 mile radius around Louisville. For the last several years of seeing it before I left was the Ohio was the cleanness, the worst was Talyorsville lake. The folks look at the river and see brown, that's just silt (dirt). When the rain stops and the current slows down the dirt falls to the bottom and you can see clear as a bell down 20 feet thru the river
Old 01-23-2017, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by lake p.a.l.
June 2016 my wife and I took my brother and his daughter and launched our 25' Eliminator Daytona on the Mississippi river just below Cairo, IL. We made the entire almost 1000 miles of the Ohio River to Pittsburgh, PA in 5 days. We especially like the area's between Cincinnati and Louisville. There are so many amazing places to beach and/or raft up all along the Ohio.
Take many pictures?
Old 01-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoore1225
Do you swim in Harmon, or the Falls?
No, but I fill up my fresh water holding tank from there.......
Old 01-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a "cove" that has been quarried out about 22 miles upriver from Louisville (about 3 miles upriver from Westport, KY on the Indiana side). It's a great place to raft up because it is out of the current/wake of the channel and is HUGE. The bank/beach is soft too, if you're inclined to pull up there to let kids play/dogs run, etc. On any given summer weekend day, there may be up to 75-100 boats. Don't let the naysayers discourage you, the river is a great place to boat and, yes, swim. Both of these pics were in "the cove".[ATTACH=CONFIG]564084[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]564085[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Boating on the Ohio River-cove2.jpg   Boating on the Ohio River-cove1.jpg  

Last edited by Gunrunner72; 01-24-2017 at 02:26 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the information, wife and I are thinking about moving our cruiser and our black thunder from one of the inland lakes in Indiana to the ohio,