Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Buying documented boat... expiration is April 30. What to do? >

Buying documented boat... expiration is April 30. What to do?

Notices

Buying documented boat... expiration is April 30. What to do?

Old 02-03-2017, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,354 Posts

When I got my boat the parks and rec asked me if I wanted to keep it USCG doc'd or register it with the state, I still have to carry the registration expiration year but not the numbers, but they wont send me the sticker till I send them a copy of the USCG doc. But their all plenty happy to debit your account immediately. And yes Im still waiting

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 02-03-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by GL@PBC
From the link in the above post.

A vessel may be deleted from documentation upon the request of the vessel owner or an authorized agent on behalf of the owner. The request must be in writing and is to include the vessel’s official number. The original Certificate of Documentation (COD) is to be returned by the owner named on the certificate.
Agree, but if you look at the actual paper work in the second link it says

• A vessel may be deleted from documentation upon the request of the vessel owner or an authorized agent on behalf of the owner. The request must be in writing and must include the vessel’s official number and reason for deletion. The original Certificate of Documentation (COD) is to be returned by the owner named on the certificate.

• Please provide evidence of sale or transfer AND a statement indicating nationality of owner and/or country in which vessel will be flagged (in the event vessel is being sold to non-US citizen(s) or being flagged in a foreign country). Evidence of sale is required in the event vessel is sold foreign as per 46 CFR 67.171(c)(1).
Old 02-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Never tried to remove a vessel from being documented, but it is my opinion it can only be done IF the person which buys the boat, is a non-US Citizen. It cannot be remove just because someone no longer wants it documented. In doing so the boat is no longer registered in the USA. Most banks only want a boat to be documented so it can be tracked and found no matter where it goes.

Here is the FAQ's
https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp

Here is the form to be used to remove from documentation
https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/instr/inst%20deletion.pdf

Yes I think that's correct - once you document a boat it's hard to get rid of and you may end up falling under different (and if different usually stricter) regulations. I'm not sure what implications there are for recreational boats, however with commercial fishing, two identical boats used identically, if one is documented it requires coast guard inspection yearly and the other does not, the documented one needs additional safety gear which the state-registered boat does not.

In the days of this EPA chit I would not be surprised if documented you then fall into some criteria there too.. The only reason many commercial boats get documented is for certain reasons, if over a certain net ton (2.5, which is not a huge boat really), it's a requirement, and of course the banks may require it.

I was looking into financing a boat a couple years ago and being forced to document was the killer - yes I could get financing no problem but the banks wanted me to documented the boat recreational use only (and I do some rod and reel commercial fishing which would then be illegal on that boat).. I could've gotten a commercial loan, but then I really don't have a true commercial operation to show history on, so that was out. In the end found you can get an unsecured personal loan at not much more $$ - even better (default and there's no clear path for them to do anything without taking you to court, ie nobody just comes and repo's your boat).

Of course, you could register a documented boat (who's to say you even understand what documentation is an means) and nobody would likely suspect any different, so if boarded you would be treated by state-registered law.

Generally though I'd say, if your boat is not documented don't do it, if it is it's not a big deal. Don't go document a boat though just because it's cool not to need to state register it - you still likely need to pay the state taxes if that's what you are trying to avoid.

Jon

Last edited by leaky; 02-03-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,232 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
I bought a boat back in August that was USCG documented.. Neither I nor my lender were familiar with the process..

They have been working on withdrawing it from USCG registration for 7 months now and it's STILL not registered in my name.. They're going to be stuck paying Texas Parks & Wildlife late fees as well....

Guess MY advise is have someone familiar with the process handle it for you....
Mine is a cash purchase so hopefully it'll go a little smoother. Hope yours gets through the process soon!
Old 02-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,354 Posts

In MO. theres no PP tax on a documented boat, dont know about sales tax
Old 02-03-2017, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,232 Likes on 687 Posts

Virginia lists nothing about taxes in regard to documented boats. They do mention that registration with the state is not required. Where I live in Virginia (Virginia Beach) there's not PP tax on boats.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

being as you are a new owner to the boat you have a choice, there is no law that says you need to document it, you can let it lapse and register it locally. if you decide to keep it documented, you will have to pay the fees to have ownership transferred. Documentation has zero to do with taxes for whichever state you register it. that is solely up to you. However each state deals with documentation differently. here in MD we just have to run the sticker and pay 10 bucks a year. some other states still require you to register and run the numbers. CG documentation enters you boat into the coast guards data base which can help in retrieval if stolen, as well as eases registration. either way its a voluntary program.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

im in the Lynchburg va area.my boat was documented when I bought it but told dealer I didn't want to continue to have it reg with the coast guard.called coast guard asking how the tax deal would go on a documented boat they told me I still had to pay taxes on it even if I documented it...was and still am trying to get out of paying very high taxes on it for years to come
Old 02-05-2017, 05:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

again.. documenting a boat has ZERO to do with sales tax...
Old 02-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

when I say taxes that's personal property tax...as in $1100 a year, every year.thats not sales tax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.