Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Trailering 11'6" cat flat trailer >

Trailering 11'6" cat flat trailer

Notices

Trailering 11'6" cat flat trailer

Old 02-14-2017, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FL wide permit is $10... Check your insurance policy, if you're in an accident they can decline if you don't have the proper permits. to me $10 is totally worth it.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not about the money for me. I wouldnt have a boat if I couldnt afford the $10 or $50 permits. Its how do you do it and attain them properly for each state? If I'm trailering in several states do I need to screw around with the route every time I go somewhere?
Old 02-14-2017, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Here you go.This may be one stop shopping
http://www.mercurypermits.net/8-boat...oat-us-members
Old 02-14-2017, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had someone tow my cat from Md to Ga. without issue. Then the very next trip from Ga to La the Alabama DOT cited him. I'm at 10'9". The officer was nice enough to continue to let him roll, however a different officer and he may have been parked. Lesson learned. Get permits!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by hustlerguy
It's not about the money for me. I wouldnt have a boat if I couldnt afford the $10 or $50 permits. Its how do you do it and attain them properly for each state? If I'm trailering in several states do I need to screw around with the route every time I go somewhere?
From my earlier research, the short answer is. If you stay within your home state, ya can buy one simple permit that's good for a year and don't get involved with all the DOT stuff related to truck. There may be some restrictions, but each state is different.

If you want to drag it across the country, or just into the next state. You're gonna need that DOT registration sticker on your truck same as any big rig. And likely have to comply with majority of the the rules that go with being a commercial driver. Each time you travel, you need to submit a route and application for the permits in each state. Then they might send you through BFE at will, cause of construction or something stupid.

Plan B, buy a tilt trailer. Then your probably going to be over weight, and need a CDL anyways.

Plan C, hire a professional to drag it where ever ya want and take the sports car..

Last edited by kidturbo; 02-14-2017 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Plan D, sell the cat and buy a vee... LOL
Old 02-15-2017, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Permitting is so easy to do, I would definitely do it with anything over 10ft wide. I store my boat in Wayzata, MN and the police and state patrol around the lake area are extremely vigilant in regards to boats. Same with the St Croix/Stillwater area. Not sure where you are trailering to and from. Knock on wood, but I haven't been harassed for width yet, but I'm only 9'X". I only worry because my boats are always coming and going (I don't boat much in MN means I have lots of trailer time and opportunities for them to stop my boat) and I'm rarely driving the truck, so I don't want the driver to have to deal with BS. Because of all this, I try to stay as legitimate as possible.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hustlerguy
So if your pulling as a personal person "private - Not For Hire" Are you required to pull through the weight stations?
I did not think you needed to do so as long as you are not a commercial operator?
Did you have Private not for hire stickers on your tow vehicles?

Permits seem to vary from state to state.
Times of operation seem fairly straight 1/2 hr before and after sunset in most states.
Flags on all four corners and wide load sign.
Not only state to state, but WITHIN a state they can vary! When my brother and I moved his Skater from Long Island NY to Upstate NY, we went for permits. It was years ago, but what I remember doing was going to the DOT to get a permit for the state. Not too bad, and the DOT guy was fairly helpful. I needed much info on the truck and trailer, weights, dimensions, axles, brakes, etc, etc. I also needed to identify the route we were taking for either the 1 day or 3 day permit (maybe it was a 7 day permit, not positive).

In any case the DOT guy was helpful, but he cautioned me about going through NYC. He informed us NYC has their own permit. I asked him weren't they part of NY State??? He chuckled, and said yeah, but they have their own "DOT" rules and permits.

Then he dropped the bomb..... To tow wide loads in NY State, we had to travel during daylight hours. No problem. BUT, NYC rules state that to tow wide loads through the city, we had to travel after dark and before sun up! How the heck could we leave Long Island in daylight, travel 10-15 miles to the city border, then stop and wait for darkness, travel another 10 through the city borders, then stop again, and wait for sun up to resume travel in NY State! Totally crazy rules and stupid, and the DOT guy agreed, but he just wanted to warn us. We decided to just get the NY State permit, and if we got stopped in NYC we would have plead ignorance. I know, ignorance is no excuse, but what the heck, it worked for Clinton! LOL.

Bottom line, we had no issues at all. Now when we tow, in state we do not bother even getting a permit any more. However, in our case, the boat is just barely over the limit, so it does not stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Exactly why I bought a boat that doesn't require trailering permits, what a headache. Keep in mind most interstate highway lanes are only required to be 12' wide so you have a whopping 3" clearance on either side to work with, unless of course you're wider out to out somewhere on the trailer. In construction zones they can be reduced to 11' and on city streets 10'. Keep safe!