Trailering 11'6" cat flat trailer >

Trailering 11'6" cat flat trailer

Notices

Trailering 11'6" cat flat trailer

Old 02-09-2017, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Trailering 11'6" cat flat trailer

Who has experience towing a full width cat on flat trailer?
Trailer has corner flags and wide load on back drive guard.
Permits? No permits?
People with experience please give some feedback back
Old 02-09-2017, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The sign needs to state Oversize Load front and back. Fly red flags on the corners. Some states require blinking beacons. I always pull permits and fill out a log book. Over 26K GVW you probably need a commercial drivers license. Some routes are not legal for oversize loads. Do your homework for the states that you are towing.
Attached Thumbnails Trailering 11'6" cat flat trailer-image.jpg  
Old 02-09-2017, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never pulled permits pulling my MTI when I had it. Pulled it to Lake Cumberland, lake Lanier from Tampa fl. And pulled it all over Fl. Never got stopped. I have been with my buddy which we pulled his 50ft cat and never had permits. Some guys say get them and others say don't. I decided not to pull them and never had a problem.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts

My personal experiences, hook up and roll with it.

If you orange flag it or hang a banner on it, your acknowledging that you know your over width. Which requires having the truck DOT registered and buying permits for every state. If follow some basic rules like not traveling at night, your far less likely to draw attention.

I towed a 11.6' by 40' cat from NY to OH without issue. Then another member towed it from here to TX the same way. I put a valid temp tag on the trailer, he didn't even do that much...

But I will advise ya scout your route for any road construction or toll booths that might have clearance issues. Nothing makes the butt pucker like running into single lane highway with barricades, or pulling up to a toll booth with a 11.6' wide boat behind ya and wondering if it's gonna fit..

Last edited by kidturbo; 02-09-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have buddy's that do just that. Hook and tow. I am however, not an overly lucky person. I have tried to tow as legally as possible. If stopped without the correct license or permits can make for a very long and expensive day or days. I am usually on a pretty tight schedule while towing to an event or destination. Just my opinion. Do what you wish. Doug
Old 02-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

If you tow without permits or any of necessary signs, flags etc. and you're involved in a accident I'm guessing your insurance company may give you some bad news.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts

The fine is usually cheaper then the permits.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by flight club
The fine is usually cheaper then the permits.
permits are cheap and if you run in the same states alot you can get an annual permits for those states. the fine can be anything from a ticket to an impounded boat and a trip to jail (it has happened more than once). if you dont have a permit and hit a construction zone that is too small you will be responsible for any and all damages you cause. if the scale sees you run by them they can and will come and chase you down and impound you. I know lots of people do it and get away with it but that one time you see your boat sitting in the parking lot of a scale house for a week till they decide you have all the right papers may not be worth it.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I cannot speak for other states, but California charges a whopping $90/yr for an annual permit for 12' wide vehicle. We can run 24/7 provided we are not in a congested traffic area then we have to avoid the 7-10am commute and the 4-7 commute and any city areas that are deemed a "red" zone which we are not allowed in (such as San Francisco)..

I've ran the gambit and got caught in SF crossing the Golden Gate Bridge .. Not fun. Lots of CHP's like to have a piece of your ass all at once.

Ran the gambit and got caught in Ukiah with no CDL, (3 years in a row)

Point is, permits are cheap. If you are towing more than 100 miles from home your going to need a log book. If you stay overnight your going to need a log book. If your towing a trailer with a GVW of 1,301 lbs or greater your going to need a CDL...
Old 02-10-2017, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts

I'm with Rik on instate transport. Ohio is like $90 a year for a single boat. Basic safety rules, no running after dark, or on holidays I believe. They don't require a DOT sticker or CDL for the driver. Just that permit and your golden.

When I went after that cat in Buffalo I researched all this, then called a buddy who hauls farm equipment all over the place. He's who told me to go on a Sunday, and get home before dark. Said play dumb and don't have a tape measure laying on the seat.. lol. At the time I thought the boat was only 10'2", once we got there and pulled a tape across it, 11'6". That's when I told my buddy F it, lets roll the dice..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.