Notices

Center of gravity

Old 02-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
No matter how many times I read this I'm still scratching my head LOL
Simple...... GRavity is a force. TRy jumping off the roof and floating... you dont, you go splat. Gravity is the force making you splat.

Balance,,, Finding equilibrium, I am going to balance the rotating assembly, I am going to balance on one foot its an action, it something you do to something
Old 02-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 70 Posts

Had twin 300xs Merc outboards on my 30' v hull after side by side BBC with TRS using Stainless Marine bracket and hydraulic Jack plates. Saw no difference even when at dock. Handled pretty much the same . Aprox 12-1300lbs on back vs more forward and inside work s out . They didn't change hulls or construction much on all the hulls over the years that offered both power options.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

That is a great example! Thank you
Old 02-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Simple...... GRavity is a force. TRy jumping off the roof and floating... you dont, you go splat. Gravity is the force making you splat.

Balance,,, Finding equilibrium, I am going to balance the rotating assembly, I am going to balance on one foot its an action, it something you do to something
i thought it was the sudden stop on a hard surface that makes the splat.

is this a winter thread or is it for real

what is good balance front to back ?
Old 02-12-2017, 06:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
On a race boat the CG is critical and changed almost every race with movable weight. Big water you go forward with weight for balance and flat you go back with weight for speed.
how much movable weight, and how far do you move it ? i have 3 permanent places to put a battery, front- mid -back roughly 4 and 5 feet apart and all the way down in belly a few inches above the keel
when you go weight forward for balance what are you looking for 30 -40 percent loa from transom as example.

Last edited by outonsafari; 02-12-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:15 PM
Registered

I'm serious, and it is winter so I'm a little bored. I'm sure to some it's winter and there goofing around. I read some articles by Michael peters that i'd like to find again, they would do a scale model and divide the boat into 10% sections over length. They would then judge the boats speed and handling capabilities based on the number they got from the weights over the length.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle

I get that part. So are we debating the term center of gravity and it should be center of balance LOL. I only know it as CG in the boating world but doesn't mean it right.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by outonsafari
how much movable weight, and how far do you move it ? i have 3 permanent places to put a battery, front- mid -back roughly 4 and 5 feet apart and all the way down in belly a few inches above the keel
when you go weight forward for balance what are you looking for 30 -40 percent loa from transom as example.
We have 180 lbs we add about 4' ahead of the helm
Old 02-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

I think it only matters if you're running a stripped out race boat.
Once you put people and gear in a boat, the 'centre of gravitance' will alter but it's not significant. How else could a manufacturer justify building a closed bow version and an open bow version of the same boat?

It probably makes a bigger difference when trailering and the amount of weight on the tow hitch.

RR
Old 02-12-2017, 08:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
We have 180 lbs we add about 4' ahead of the helm
whats your race boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.