Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   XVI Power Introduces V-16 LS Marine Engine in Miami (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/344754-xvi-power-introduces-v-16-ls-marine-engine-miami.html)

Matt Trulio 02-16-2017 09:21 AM

XVI Power Introduces V-16 LS Marine Engine in Miami

An intriguing new power options unveiled in Miami moments ago, XVI Power Introduces V-16 LS Marine Engine in Miami, https://speedonthewater.com/new-boat...ngine-in-miami

mike tkach 02-16-2017 09:55 AM

the biggest problem i see with this is the length of the engine.it looks like the engine room would need to be longer than the v8 engine so it would need to take up some of the cockpit room.if used in new boat builds i guess it would be addressed but might be a problem retro fitting lnto older boats.

freshwaterfiend 02-16-2017 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 4529632)
the biggest problem i see with this is the length of the engine.it looks like the engine room would need to be longer than the v8 engine so it would need to take up some of the cockpit room.if used in new boat builds i guess it would be addressed but might be a problem retro fitting lnto older boats.

Says it's only 14" longer and 6" narrower than a V8 (I assume they're comparing it to a BBC not an LS).

mike tkach 02-16-2017 10:04 AM

xtra 14 inches does not sound like a lot,but it is.

noli 02-16-2017 10:16 AM

that's a monster of an engine

curious what Engine Management System and software this will run on and can the motor's vitals be displayed on say a 15" Garmin display?

would be cool to see in a race boat

Marginmn 02-16-2017 10:49 AM

Wish them all of the luck in the world but my Gwad, I cannot imagine that there will be much demand for this platform.

I would love to know the backstory behind how this business venture came to light. "Yea the performance boat market is shrinking, the I/O market within the performance market is shrinking, and Mercury now has numerous proven, reliable, turn-key HP options serving that market, but I see demand for a totally unproven V-16! Who wants to re-invent the wheel and invest their hard-earned money with me?"

mike tkach 02-16-2017 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Marginmn (Post 4529650)
Wish them all of the luck in the world but my Gwad, I cannot imagine that there will be much demand for this platform.

I would love to know the backstory behind how this business venture came to light. "Yea the performance boat market is shrinking, the I/O market within the performance market is shrinking, and Mercury now has numerous proven, reliable, turn-key HP options serving that market, but I see demand for a totally unproven V-16! Who wants to re-invent the wheel and invest their hard-earned money with me?"

i was thinking the same thing,the expense just to cast a block had to be hugh,not to mention the 16 cylinder crankshaft.i like the engine but just don,t see much demand for it.

Uncle Dave 02-16-2017 11:00 AM

Great idea, not going to take off as the guys above all said - few to no engine bays are designed with an extra 14" of space.

Fitting a V10 which is only a few inches longer is a feat in many boats - 14?

Not gonna happen in 98% of the boats out here.

UD

bck 02-16-2017 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 4529632)

But it says there will be no problem installing it in a 40 ft cat with an 8 ft engine compartment.

IGetWet 02-16-2017 11:11 AM

Like it's mentioned in the article, it should fit into "many" cats. Great, another uber expensive motor for really custom built boats.

So there pitch is lowering HP per cylinder right? Ok they've lowered the HP per cylinder so does that mean you can get twice the time before rebuilds? Competition is good but the guys buying new 1100/1350/1550 aren't really all that concerned about the rebuild schedule...