Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain 35 lightning handling? Offshore? >

Fountain 35 lightning handling? Offshore?

Notices

Fountain 35 lightning handling? Offshore?

Old 02-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fountain 35 lightning handling? Offshore?

I'm looking to purchase a fountain 35. Everyone says it's a small 35. How does this boat handle in rough water, can it handle it or is it gonna be more miserable then fun. Maybe I Should look for a 38 instead, Its a hard decision. I boat in salt water in New York. Some ocean close to shore runs.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

You're about to get a billion opinions. Might as well go buy a 50 nortech now. Fountains handle the rough just fine. Notice they are still winning on the racecourse. If you see a 38 you like that wouldn't be a bad idea. Larger boat will always do better in the rough.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

They're not a 'big' 35 compared to some other brands and waterline length will always improve the ride in rough water. Fountain models all have similar hull designs, would they have such a great record offshore if they weren't any good?

Their style is individual and will get different opinions, I love it but I'm sure someone will post an opposite opinion very soon.

Many won't admit it but once the search is narrowed down to a few respected manufacturers, they usually just buy the one they think looks nicest. I've done that before and will do it again. No regrets.

Enjoy your shopping!

RR
Old 02-17-2017, 11:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it really depends on how you define rough water. Everything is relative. My old boat was a 25' Advantage Citation. Went a 35 Lightning last year and the difference was night and day. Being a Midwest guy I've not run in any oceans with it but have been on a couple of the Great Lakes and also LOTO. The Fountain hull is awesome and with a competent driver you can pilot some nasty water confidently in a 35.

There are several Fountain Lightnings in our boating group - 42's with 700's & 600's, 38's with 600's & 525's and my 35 with 525's and I've been in all of them. If conditions are average - say 2-3 foot waves it's equal. Even 3-4 foot waves are really not much for the 35. Now getting into consistent 4-5 foot water or the typical washing machine of a poker run shotgun start I find myself having to really "drive" my 35 - just like I did with my 25. Again everything being relative - the 38 and 42 will do it easier and will be more forgiving. But I kind of like having to drive vs operate when conditions require it. It's fun and gives a sense of accomplishment.

If you think you will regularly be in 6 foot plus water then obviously the bigger the better. The 38 is deeper and the bigger feeling of it and a 42 in my opinion. It dwarfs my 35. Hope this info helps you.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 4,271 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Manufacturer aside would get the longest boat you can afford/store/tow if you`ll be really using it OFFSHORE.

I did 25' to 33' on the Big Lake .. OMG night and day.
33' to 38' better but not huge difference . I thought the 33' handled the Lake pretty damn well. Spanning the waves is key.

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 02-18-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

The 35' Fountain Lightning is one of my favorite boats..not too big..not too small. Bear in mind that the running surface is more like a 31' boat. The swim platform and "beak" are included in the overall length of the boat. As far as the "beak" is concerned, it's really a mute point. It doesn't make a difference if the curve is convex or concave to the tip of the nose; you still wind up at the same point. Furthermore, that little bit of "beak" has no bearing on the running surface of the boat. The Lightning is fast, handles well and has a nice sized cabin. You may also want to consider looking at a 32' Active Thunder or their newer 33' Evolution.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:41 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great handling boat for 35 ft, I have a 97 single step , it does not handle as well as my old 12 meter did, but is a lot faster with smaller engines. Much easier to load on a trailer , easier to dock, better on fuel, easier on engines and outdrives. Lots of room to service engines on older models, newer twin steps have a water tank and poop tank next to engines, pain in the you know what , to service. The 38 is nice if you go staggered, Good luck!
Old 02-18-2017, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a 38 Fever. The cockpit is pretty dam big , for a Fountain. The vee berth sleeps 2 comfortably, enclosed head is small, but useable . With Bravos, theres lots of room in the bilge.

I've only felt "uncomfortable" a handful of times, on Lake Michigan when winds kicked up/storms came thru and the waves got big. But it would have been a chit ride, in most any boat at those times. I'd say they were 5-7, maybe 6-8's. Where the bottom is dropping out from under you, waves coming from all directions, massive holes, no spanning them unless you are 70+ feet long, etc. i know some say they run in 6-8's, but my idea of 6-8's, is pretty serious water. Water that breaks stringers and cracks hulls.

been to loto several times with it, no issues there. Heres a video of me cruising up the main channel on labor day weekend. Taking it slow as my G/F doesnt really care to go 90 thru the slop, and keeping pace with my buddy ricky in his 38 Top Gun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTN_TZ_892M
Old 02-18-2017, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Cool vid joe.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

And when she's not on board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGRC-Jf079s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.