Notices

First big boat

Old 02-18-2017, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to hi jack, but I also just stepped up to a 30' with twins from a 25'.I have had minimal time docking a friends boat with twins with good success.My biggest concern is learning when the tabs come into play other then if u need them to get up on plane.My buddy would set his level with the bottom of the boat and leave them there. Big_Rooster good luck with witch ever you choose,I have been in both up over 110mph and they are awesome boats!!!!!
Old 02-19-2017, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Another tip for boats with a notched transom......
When maneuvering, trim the engines up a bit to redirect the prop wash from the reverse engine down a bit and under the boat. Otherwise, the wash hits the notch and pushes the boat forward. Think about it..........

RR
Thanks Rak rua. Wow, the lights just went on. I've been backing my 35 Lightning into a 30' finger dock for the last 3 years and could never figure why it would't remain straight. I got pretty proficient at making adjustments, but will try trimming when I'm back on the water this spring.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

In the thousands of times docking boats, many for other people that are scared of damaging there boat so they have me drive I have never experienced what rak said. I have trimmed up on boats that the props spin in though to get a little more response.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by big_rooster
I will be relocating to florida in a couple months and plan on getting a fairly fast boat that can handle the ocean. Thing is, I have never had a large boat. I am not new to boating and have been driving bass boats up in the Muskoka and on Georgian Bay for the last 10 years. I currently have a 20 foot Bullet the tops out at around 95mph on the gps. I have found a 38 fountain with twin 700sci engines, and also a 42 fountain with twin 1075sci. Both engines have fairly low hours, hulls and interiors are in equally good condition. I am looking for input from people with experience on big boats to get an idea if this is too large of a boat. My only concerns are docking and getting it back on the trailer. I usually have to get it back on the trailer on my own, as my wife can't provide much help lol. Its easy with a bass boat but I have no idea how different it will be with a 38-42 footer.
Some food for thought. I went from a 21' to a 27' and now a 35'. There is definitely a learning curve. I have zero regrets going bigger but a mishap can take all the fun out of boating. Also the Mercury racing engines require a lot more cost & upkeep. If you live in Ontario you may wish to call one of the authorized Merc Racing dealers, Double R Performance and pick their brains. Both are top notch marinas. As for towing, same deal. I had to upgrade my Ontario DL to a class A and have both truck & trailer inspected annually, though I don't know what Florida regs are. My point is do your due diligence (which you are on this forum) and get exactly what you want. Btw a 35 or 38 Fountain Lightning w 525s will run over 90 and cost less overall than the 700s and can be towed by a 3/4 ton pickup. Good luck with you decision.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
In the thousands of times docking boats, many for other people that are scared of damaging there boat so they have me drive I have never experienced what rak said. I have trimmed up on boats that the props spin in though to get a little more response.
My only experience with a notched transom was my Fountain 34cc triple Verados. The boat was pretty good docking but trimming the engines up, I felt, made a difference. It wasn't like night and day but it was better.

I played around one quiet day in the marina, still conditions and the boat felt more responsive to the reverse engine. Just my experience/thoughts....

RR
Old 02-19-2017, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a 25ft to a 41 ft and find the duels easier to maneuver, however, wind is NOT your friend, with a larger boat it acts like a sail and can get away from you without a lot of seat time. Just remember go slow hit slow, take your time and you will be fine, hey that rhymes! I keep mine at Barber Marine and they take it out and store it indoors, so no trailering for me, you may give that some thought.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ended up pulling the trigger on the 42 with 1075s. The owner was kind enough to take me out for lengthy ride in biscayne bay and a bit offshore to show me how well it handled some chop. I was impressed with the power and how it performed in what looked like 3-4' waves while maintaining high speeds. Something I'd never consider doing in the types of boats I owned in the past.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

WOW, post some pics. 1075s in a 42 = bueno speed
Old 03-02-2017, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up pulling the trigger on the 42 with 1075s. The owner was kind enough to take me out for lengthy ride in biscayne bay and a bit offshore to show me how well it handled some chop. I was impressed with the power and how it performed in what looked like 3-4' waves while maintaining high speeds. Something I'd never consider doing in the types of boats I owned in the past.

Damn, if you're gonna step up, step up big!!! Congrats!!!
Old 03-02-2017, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Congratulations! ....post pics!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.