Notices

First big boat

Old 02-17-2017, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default First big boat

I will be relocating to florida in a couple months and plan on getting a fairly fast boat that can handle the ocean. Thing is, I have never had a large boat. I am not new to boating and have been driving bass boats up in the Muskoka and on Georgian Bay for the last 10 years. I currently have a 20 foot Bullet the tops out at around 95mph on the gps. I have found a 38 fountain with twin 700sci engines, and also a 42 fountain with twin 1075sci. Both engines have fairly low hours, hulls and interiors are in equally good condition. I am looking for input from people with experience on big boats to get an idea if this is too large of a boat. My only concerns are docking and getting it back on the trailer. I usually have to get it back on the trailer on my own, as my wife can't provide much help lol. Its easy with a bass boat but I have no idea how different it will be with a 38-42 footer.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Seat time will be your friend. I went from a 23' boat to a 36' boat with twins. Docking was the scary part but taking friends with you that have experience as well as help from others played a big roll in getting comfy around those areas.

As far as trailer on and off......I never did that alone and could not imagine trying to do so in a boat that large.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's just bigger. That long V will go right on with no problem
Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Unless its windy....^^^^........38-42 can be a handful in a cross wind, you may want to consider one of Tres Martin's driving schools he's out of Florida.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Driving is easy with some common sense. Docking takes a few simple pointers on how to dock without using the wheel then practice will get you the rest of the way.

Onto the trailer...... It's nice to have someone to be a guide and help secure the bow eye. A couple of trailer guide posts might offer a little comfort.

As long as you are aware of the costs involved with twins and especially modified engines, don't let anything stop you going big. Stick to a well known respected brand like a Fountain and you'll pick up the little things, don't try to learn everything on the first outing and play safe.

RR

P.S. Welcome to OSO.

Last edited by rak rua; 02-17-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

:Go for it. I went from a 20' wellcraft V-20 to my cafe and (and that's the same size as the fountain - sorry I couldn't resist!!!!

The only advice I would give would be make sure you have the truck for it...... and dunk your feet in at the right time and right place. Memorial Day weekend at the busiest ramp in town with a gale force warning in effect would be a recipe for all of us making fun of you ending up in YouTube.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

You'll be fine, take your time and get a routine down for launch and retrieval. The crew is only as good as the leader, get your wife involved and give her jobs to do that fit her level of interest. My wife handles our boat on and off the trailer from the dock and uses 2 lines, I drive the truck and trailer. Once the boat is tied off I take over mechanicals and she gets ready for leaving the dock, pulling fenders and lines. 700s are MUCH easier on your wallet than the 1075s, not fuel but maintenance and rebuilds. There is also a really strong market for Fountains with 700s. If your looking at the red/white/black 38/700 boat at Performance Boats that is a really nice set-up, it would have been my choice if we didn't buy at the end of last season. But for that $ a 42/700 is on the radar, and if you have the room to store it and the truck to haul it that is a great choice. We just don't have the storage space for a 42'. The 1075 boat would be unreal fast but at what cost, check around on 1075s to educate yourself.

Last edited by VoodooRob; 02-17-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Ask the locals for advise on which ramps are the best for large boats.

Padraig
Old 02-17-2017, 09:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Driving is easy with some common sense. Docking takes a few simple pointers on how to dock without using the wheel then practice will get you the rest of the way.

Onto the trailer...... It's nice to have someone to be a guide and help secure the bow eye. A couple of trailer guide posts might offer a little comfort.

As long as you are aware of the costs involved with twins and especially modified engines, don't let anything stop you going big. Stick to a well known respected brand like a Fountain and you'll pick up the little things, don't try to learn everything on the first outing and play safe.

RR

P.S. Welcome to OSO.
Exactly! Docking with twins is very easy. Idle speed, stay off of the steering wheel, and use the gearshift to maneuver. Practice makes perfect. Do not be afraid to shift.... play with it, and you will see that you can twist the boat into a tight spot.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

My ex drove and trailered the boat. I handled the truck and heavy lifting. As one stated above give your wife responsibilities that will boost her confidence. Once you have a routine down everyone will enjoy the process. Keep us posted on your purchase and have fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.