Notices

Long term anchor

Old 02-25-2017, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Box anchor seems like the way to go. I haven't bought one because our lake eats anchors and I couldn't imagine losing one that pricey. But if it is an overnight scenario, losing an anchor is cheap compared to waking up on the rocks.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the best anchor you can get period. https://www.ultramarinewestshop.com/...s-steel-anchor

Get the recommend size for your boat and put the right amount of chain on it and you will have no issues. Mantus makes a similar style that i hear also works very well and is much cheaper. I have an Ultra myself and it is excellent.

Sailboaters do what you are talking about all the time with a single anchor.

If you are talking about a temporary mooring, buy a galvanized danforth style anchor 5 times bigger than recommended attach all chain to a heavy mooring ball and that will work also. Assuming the bottom is sand.

I haven't personally used a box anchor, but yet to encounter or hear of a cruising sailor using one.