Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Advisable to keep a firearm on a boat when out in the Gulf of Mexico around Mobil AL? >

Advisable to keep a firearm on a boat when out in the Gulf of Mexico around Mobil AL?

Notices

Advisable to keep a firearm on a boat when out in the Gulf of Mexico around Mobil AL?

Old 02-26-2017, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

I'll tell you a story about when you wish you had a gun onboard and after this we never left the dock with out it.

My dad fished for pleasure out of Naples Florida for 14 years.

Most of the time only going out 25 miles into the Gulf. But some days the fish weren't biting as the water warmed up in the spring so you would claw your way further offshore to deeper cooler water to where the fish would hopefully be biting.

Next thing you know you are 50 miles offshore. Perfect place to be in a 25 foot boat with a single engine, I know but it was a Yamaha and long as the boat could stay on plane you wouldn't sink hopefully.

Anyways one of these particular trips we found our selfs late into the day 50 miles out dropping into ledges all the way out until we found fish.

We are the only boat out there and now we have a Very Rough commercial type fishing boat barreling down on us. We are eyeing them the whole time . My dad tells me to start the windlass and motor and let's get maneuverable

These guys were hot and heavy trying to get near us . Rough looking bunch and not a word of English spoken.

Been around the block a few times in foreign countries and mostly comfortable. But unarmed 50 miles at sea makes you a little apprehensive .

Who knows. Maybe they just wanted to trade fish for beer, done that before in the Tortugas . But you want to take that chance 50 miles out?

Good Times though.

After that ,every time we went out to sea dad had a weapon onboard, I am not a gun guy but learning fast.

Last edited by tommymonza; 02-27-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

All it takes is one good SHARKNADO and your firearms will be useless.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

We don't go boating without Heer Glock on board......
Old 02-27-2017, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that if you don't have a gun on your boat, they give you one.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:05 PM
Registered

Worst part about having the gun onboard was my teenage son at the time insisting that every shark we caught had to be shot.

Don't worry we ate em.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Don't worry bout the sharks and gator's you just gotta out swim ur buddy....
Old 02-27-2017, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Don't worry bout the sharks and gator's you just gotta out swim ur buddy....
If you're in unknown water with sharks or gators, just reach back and grab a handful of $hit and smear it in their eyes to temporarily blind them. Trust me, it'll be available. Same goes for bears in the woods.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:46 AM
Registered

Talking about gators.

Ride down I-75 in the westbound lane between between Miami and Naples someday when it is really cold out but sunny.

Now try to count the alligators sitting on the rocks.
The amount just that you can see on the other side of the fence will blow your mind.

When I 1st moved to Florida back in the 80s I was hauling azz across the alley, this was when it ws still 2 lanes.

Doing about 90 in my wife's Monte Carlo when out of the dark there was a gator across both lanes of the road.

Never had time to even touch the brakes.. Hit it and it was like hitting a parking lot block, ripped the daul exhaust down. Stopped and backed up , no gator to be seen.

I always take 41 when I go down to the Keys, pretty good chance you will see a dead gator hit by a car.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So do you have a reason to go to mobile other than vacation? Because there are MUCH better spots in that area to go then there. Personally like destin/ft Walton much better. Also have Pensacola and perdido. Mobile bay? no thanks
Old 03-02-2017, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

In S. Fl. never left the dock without my trusty firearm. Never had to use it but gave a warm and safe feeling it is available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.