Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   life expectency of #3 and #6 drives (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/34525-life-expectency-3-6-drives.html)

WickedWon 10-11-2002 07:26 AM

#3's are very tuff and efficient, #6's are brutally expensive and use up a ton of horsepower ( yes even the dry-sumps) however, if you are talking about 900+ hp it"s the sh#t. It's one of the only pieces of high performance hardware that works as advertised. Unless you're way over the top on hp you'll rebuild them out of guilt more than any other reason. Remember 100 hrs on a really fast boat equates to 7000 - 8000 miles, thats alot of miles on the water, remember all perspectives change when you're talking about boats that legitimately cruise at 80+mph.

JD

timucin 10-14-2002 04:33 PM

agree with slingshot, but if you think #6 are too expensive (like me) try #5's

FRANKIEFRANKIE 10-14-2002 05:48 PM

Re: Re: Why don't you use a Drive with a 5 Year Warranty?

Originally posted by SLINGSHOT

PULSE DRIVES ARENT PRACTICAL, THEY ARE UGLY AND ARENT SERVICED EVERYWHERE, BUY A # 6 AND BE DONE WITH IT

And where did you get your information? A pulse drive is painted to match you boat so if your boats ugly then I guess a pulse drive would be ugly and they are serviced all over the US if you need it but really all the service centers are installation centers. And what is so good looking about an ugly black thing with mix masters sticking out?

Guess you like supporting the parts business. What is PRACTICAL about that?

Just an observation.

later 10-14-2002 05:59 PM

thank you for all the information, as i more than likely wont have the good fortune to check that box when ordering a boat, but it gives me an idea of what im looking for in my next boat.
later
dave

FRANKIEFRANKIE 10-14-2002 06:00 PM

Originally posted by catmando
I have seen ads for Harry Schoell's Pulse Drive, but they're not very common. Rated to 3000HP. If you want to buy, read the warranty carefully. Doesn't read like it covers very much.:rolleyes:

www.pulsedrive.net

No complaints about customer service and warranty. If you use it on the HP and Torque at propeller that you bought it for then it is warranteed. Not much to break though. Pretty simple. There will be 7 OEM's in Miami with the units. The Company just went international. Can give you some OEM's who have very satisfied customers.

See you in Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Amsterdam, Paris, Southampton, Athens, Munich, Toyko, IBEX, Tauraugna, Genoa, Hamburgh, Sydney, Anapolis, just a few shows we are in with our dealers and distributors.

Thanks for the opportunity.

FRANKIEFRANKIE 10-15-2002 04:58 PM

NMMA INNOVATION OF THE YEAR AWARD

PULSE DRIVE GOT 2002 INNOVATION OF THE YEAR AWARD FROM THE NATIONAL MARINE MANUFACTURES ASSOCIATION AND WILL BE HILIGHTED IN MIAMI FOR SAME.

SLINGSHOT 10-15-2002 05:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Why don't you use a Drive with a 5 Year Warranty?

Originally posted by FRANKIEFRANKIE

And where did you get your information? A pulse drive is painted to match you boat so if your boats ugly then I guess a pulse drive would be ugly and they are serviced all over the US if you need it but really all the service centers are installation centers. And what is so good looking about an ugly black thing with mix masters sticking out?

Guess you like supporting the parts business. What is PRACTICAL about that?

Just an observation.

so you are saing that your husband can put three of his pulse drives on the back of my apache and they can handle 1200hp each? all day long and not break?

Boatlesss 10-15-2002 09:10 PM

Who has used the Pulse drive?

Are these customer boats that Schoell designed?

Doesn't look like anything special, straight shaft with a rudder.

Jassman 10-16-2002 11:24 AM

All I know that I am seriously considering putting them on my next 42 or 43 boat with twinn 900-950 whippled motors. You need to go to their factory, and truley check it out, yes its different, and I too was skeptical, but, once you see how innovative, and how stout they are made you will change your mind. They even cast their own props. :D

DEVIL MAN 10-16-2002 11:58 AM

I had 3's and 4's on my 38 Fountain and I now have 6's on my Cigarette Top Gun....reliability depends on a number of things...how much horsepower....how much torque....x dimension...how big and heavy is your boat....how well do you throttle???? how hard do you drive? balls to the wall or do you cruise? how well do you maintain the drives...changing the gear oil...checking for metal parts in your used gear oil....salt water environment or fresh water environment....do you take the props off after each time you use your boat...do you grease the shafts and keep them lubricated...do you check the seals frequently????? All of these things will factor into the life spand of your outdrives...including bravo's!!!! Do you fly your boat a lot and are you quick to jump back into the torque range???? Do you just hammer the **** out of your boat in snotty conditions????

I see no reason why you cannot get 300 to 400 hours on number 6's if you run 800 to 1,000's and drive like a pro...some of the experts might laugh at this, but as I mentioned....you have to figure out all of the factors and add them all up!

Good luck.

DMan....and the D is for 6's being extremely Durable!!!