Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   life expectency of #3 and #6 drives (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/34525-life-expectency-3-6-drives.html)

Tonto 10-16-2002 09:39 PM

I was told by Merc that the life expectency of a 6 is 150 hrs.

Rik 10-17-2002 01:53 AM

Where are these head to head races?

Super V Light Twins? On the West Coast there are only two boats and both have the same package.

National Circuit?

stevel 10-17-2002 02:44 AM

The lifespan of a 6 with over 1000 hp is about 150 hours. This comes from a friend with a skater. It was about $10,000 a piece to rebuild them.

At lower HP they will supposedly last a long time between rebuilds.

DEVIL MAN 10-17-2002 12:33 PM

Catmando......FAR BETTER???? Is that your opinion or that of Weisman??? I own a Top Gun pleasure boat and have had no issues with the Merc 6's, so to me, there has been no difference.

Far better is SORT of vague....is a number 6 far better than a bravo???? Not really....it all depends on the individual boater and what kind of boat he or she owns. A Bravo would be far bette than a six if you put both drives on a 38 SCARAB with 500 EFI's!!

Figure that one out....as I mentioned, it depends on the application and the driver...on certain set ups, the Weisman might be superior...on other set ups, the Merc 6 would be better and on most applications, the Bravo would be logical.

With 1000 horsepower engines in my Cigarette, I rebuilt my 6's after 200 hours and I had no problems...the only reason I rebult them was because I had the drives dissassembled so that I could completely repaint them...I still have the old gears and everything and they were still in good shape, so that tells me that I probably would have gotten 300 to 400 hours on them, which makes me a happy camper.

The bottom line is that you just can't go out and make blanket statements without carefully studying and evaluating each
situation....doing so would be a mistake...a mistake that happens too frequently in the boating world!!!!

Plus....whenever I purchase a big ticket item, I need a level of compfort....I know that Mercury will be around a lot longer than I will so whenever I need parts, I know that they are only a few days away. Weisman could be here today and gone tomorrow...I doubt it, but you never really do know....sometimes, you have to go with the odds. I am convinced Weisman is a strong product, but it is not for everyone....maybe a racer who needs every bit of speed, but again, I am a pleasure boater who has other priorities.

Stevel....Remember that Mercury is always going to be conservative when giving estimates of engine or drive expectations and life spans....it is called CYA....if you go to a boat show this winter, go up to a FACTORY Mercury rep and ask him how long a #6 will last...how many hours??? Do you think he is going to tell you 150 hours???? Maybe, but only after he ask you about 20 questions and then he will probably still shrup his shoulders and say PROBABLY...MAYBE....APPROXAMATELY...etc. Just the way it is in the high performance industry!!!!

Just my two cents...300 to 400 if you know how to drive and take care of your equipment!!!! and if you are not running 1200 hps...
and your boat doesn't weigh over 17,000 pounds and so forth and so on!!!

DMan

ssherman 10-17-2002 12:52 PM

and the d stands for Damn good anwser.

Whats up ron how is CA treating ya?

Tell the Mrs' i said hello.

DEVIL MAN 10-17-2002 03:44 PM

Hey Shano...(SCOPE POSTER BOY)...everything is going real well...Kristen (SHE DEVIL) is doing real good and so is RWD...running strong lately...hope it is not true what they say...They run the best right before they break! You missed a hell of a poker run....did you check out all the pics? I saw your boat....very impressive...unlike you!!!! Just kidding. I still think you should buy...WWWWAAAAAAAAAA...WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...WWAAAAA. ..WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...WAAAAAA.....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAA!!!!

OK Shano....have fun...maybe see you at Mead next year????

DMan

ssherman 10-17-2002 04:15 PM

D-man Thanks on the boat....Glad to hear everyone is well...has the poodle supercharged that hummer yet:eek: i am thinking Havasu next spring (I will bring more film next time):D

I checked out the picture and they are awesome the best three shots are RWD, Al Burns, and Rock-it. Can you get a 8x10 of that RWD Shot it would look grat in my boat room.

timucin 10-17-2002 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Tonto
I was told by Merc that the life expectency of a 6 is 150 hrs.

noway!!! 30.000$ each for 150 hours?!?

DEVIL MAN 10-17-2002 06:10 PM

Timucin.....$30,000???? Is that for a stolen one???? Increase that by ten K....get two of them...a couple of transmissions, a couple of blown engines....and everything else that comes with the project. It takes a serious bump on the noggin to mess around with this stuff. Take care.

DMan

Jesse James....I will get you a 8X12 for Christmas!!!!

timucin 10-17-2002 06:22 PM

well Devil man it is so expensive drive thats why I have never checked the new price...30K for each is the rebuilt price ....
as I am always saying there is only one way for me to have 6 drives ; if it comes on a boat....