Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sea Tow vs. Tow Boat US vs ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/34546-sea-tow-vs-tow-boat-us-vs.html)

THEJOKER 01-13-2003 10:44 AM

???????

ttt

Tim G. 01-13-2003 11:19 AM

Towing

You'll enjoy this one...
A friend ran his 36' inboard cruiser onto a reef at the Hillsboro Inlet near Ft.Lauderdale. The tow boats were already waiting there... Apparently the dredging crew moved the channel markers to the wrong location.
Tow boat came along side and asked if he was taking on water. Capt. looked in his bilge, and said"A Little". Mr. tow boat said"Quickly, sign here, we need to get you in. He signed and they were off to a marina with a lift.
Turns out that the tow man had him sign a Salvage Agreement. That allows them to take 14% of the value of the boat. In this case $34,000. How you like me now?

FYI west Marine sells towing contracts for $90-$150. Not too bad.

iseamaster 09-21-2010 08:26 PM

crazy tow

i towed a 75' sunseeker from 2 miles off hillsboro inlet off the steeple, now get this with a 21' edgewater w a 120 yami!
thru thr channel and thru the bridge at night with a full incoming tide!! was anyone on land and take a photo???????

the little boat that could f sea tow

GLH 09-21-2010 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by iseamaster (Post 3213950)
i towed a 75' sunseeker from 2 miles off hillsboro inlet off the steeple, now get this with a 21' edgewater w a 120 yami!
thru thr channel and thru the bridge at night with a full incoming tide!! was anyone on land and take a photo???????

the little boat that could f sea tow

Don't eat strange brownies buddy...

8 year old thread, first post, my guess he just found the search engine....

88Fount33 09-22-2010 06:21 AM

Since 2003 I've use my tow contract three times, two were tows of 30 miles each and one was gas when I made it to the gas dock and the F'ers closed 1 hour early because of a thunderstorm.

I paid only for the gas, (I bought all he had on the boat and close to marina pricing). The two tows on the papers I signed would have been for $700 each had I not had the contract and service. Best Investment I have made while boating!!!

omerta one 09-22-2010 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 3213985)
Don't eat strange brownies buddy...

8 year old thread, first post, my guess he just found the search engine....

So how fast is that MTI with the new search engines?

thirdchildhood 09-22-2010 07:56 AM

I carry unlimited fresh water towing coverage for the Great Lakes through TowboatU.S. I had to use it once last year when I softly grounded my boat near Put-in-Bay and clogged my heat exchanger with crushed shells! The service was fantastic and, yes, now I have a seastrainer!

Philm 09-22-2010 08:34 AM

I know this thread is older than dirt, but I have used my Boat US coverage once.

Last year I was running in the Chesapeake Bay, running about 45minutes when I dropped a valve. 7 1/2 hour tow later we made it back to the dock. The tow boat captains were good guys, just asked me where I wanted to go, since I had unlimited coverage they would tow me pretty much anywhere. They sent a bill to Boat US for $1850. I will always have it, figure that it paid for itself for the next twelve years or so.