30 MPH in NJ on tidal waters

Notices

30 MPH in NJ on tidal waters

Old 10-08-2002, 07:01 PM
Charter/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30 MPH in NJ on tidal waters

Do all NJ high performance boaters understand the ramafacations of this pending legislation??? Yes, it means that unless you are in teh ATLANTIC OCEAN, your maximum speed anywhere in NJ is 30 MPH. I can't believe all the dealers, manufacturers etc., are not going to fight this absolutely "freedom of speed" rule. We are going to lose, and the "blow boaters and fisherman are going to win. This has to kill business. I don't know about you, but many many weekends this summer, the ocean was just way to nasty to go for a ride, thus we crusie the intercoastal from AC to Cape May. Yes some areas are 6MPH where houses and docks are located, but many areas are "wide open" and you get a few minutes to "blow it out" and run 100MPH+ with no interruption. If this law passes, the maximum will be 30 MPH. I don't know about you, I can't "drive 30 MPH in the back bays for 40 miles. We have to band together and get this law killed quick, or we will have to change our plugs three times to go 50 miles. Is anyone with me on this?
Old 10-08-2002, 07:08 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

NJPPC has hired an attorney to represent your case in a professional and well thought out manner.

Thankfully one of the 5 members of this board is a good friend of mine and opposes this new law. 2 oppose, 3 are for it.

In 2002 there were 18 deaths on the water and non were speed related.

Also, my marine police buddies have a problem becuase they don't have radar guns. Also some boats don't come with Speedometers and the rest are inaccurate.

This is in response to the widow of the guy who got killed in the GW by the yacht. Its BS and needs to be sqaushed.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron:

Thanks for taking the lead on this issue. I would like to have an opportunity to provide input to this board but am at a loss as to how to do it. I hope that hiring a lawyer will help us get a chance for sensible input.

Where do we send the donations for the lyar, oops, lawyer ?

Tom
Old 10-08-2002, 07:22 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I think your NJPPC dues will cover it. Ask Dave at [email protected].

The one thing we can't even talk about is the need to go 100mph on weekends. There is just no way to defend that without sounding like a lunatic.

We need to address other reasons as to why the limit is not needed and why it's not enforcable.

We also don't want 50 guys showing up at the meeting. We will bring 5 high profile well spoken boat owners to present the case. The lawyer is a maritime law expert and will act as a coach.

Rest assured, we have your back on this one.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:29 PM
Registered

here you go, black permanet marker to fill in the sides on that 3 to make it an 8.....
Old 10-08-2002, 08:13 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally think most of the problem is the a$$hloes in their 16' bowriders FISHING in the middle of the channels I've run behind the Wildwoods and Cape May on the weekend and even WEEKDAYS and I felt like I was on a slalom course. And in their minds their thinking "Look at this idiot".I wonder if the same mental midgets would picnic in the middle of the GSPky
Yeah , ok , it's dangerous running a 100 mph , even 60 or 70 for that matter. But it would be a whole lot easier to chase fisherman out of channel than to time and chase down and ticket us well mannered , polite and courteous boaters .
My own thoughts are , it's a losing battle ,because our legislaters insist on passing laws to protect us from ourselves.
Ron P is right about the lunacy in trying to justify the need or right to do 100mph. It's gonna be a tough battle
Old 10-09-2002, 07:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

We Fl. power boaters wish you guys the best of luck!
And I think that it's a good point NOT to try and justify being able to run 60, 70, 80-100 MPH, the main point is that no need or way to inforce a 30 MPH speedlimit. The lawyer should have the tactics all worked out before the meeting.
Good luck,
MD
Old 10-09-2002, 07:14 AM
Registered

As a former Jersey boater, you have my heartfelt support. My gut feeling is that this law could end up causing more deaths and injuries by forcing less experienced boaters to seek their speed fix in conditions that they or their boats are not ready to handle.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:48 AM
Offshore Addiction

I feel for you guys,fight'em....most of our intercoastal waterways are 30mph,because all the snow birds come down here and play the same game on us.....remember,while were all still at work there beating on our local goverments to get what they want,they just got one of our rivers(ALAFIA RIVER) down to a 25 mph speed restriction......my boat wont even plane at 25 mph,guess I cant play over there anymore.....

Old 10-09-2002, 08:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Offshore Add.
I believe the NEW speed zone in the Alafia is due to the $TM Club efforts: The following quote is from www.standing-watch.org

The existing winter season (Nov. 15 - March 31) zone in Hillsborough County's shipping channel leading to the Alafia River in Hillsborough Bay will no longer apply, and the existing winter season idle speed zone in the Alafia River west of U.S. 41 will become a year-round slow speed zone except in the marked channel that allows boats to travel 25 mph. A 25-mph zone will take effect on the Alafia River between U.S. 41 and I-75.

At least the NJ boys don't have the to battle someone like the $TM Club
MD

Quick Reply: 30 MPH in NJ on tidal waters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.