Notices

Garmin or Simrad?

Old 03-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Garmin or Simrad?

At the point in my new build where some decisions need to be made. Along with the 2 VV7's, there is room in the center dash for another screen type monitor. Originally it was going to be a Garmin but there are other products namely Simrad that look good too. This is a DCB M28 with 400's which will be used on inland lakes where nav is not the priority. Would like to hear from the OSO brain trust on this.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If nav is not a focus then what functions are you focused on? My thought is the functions and ease of use would direct the choice. I went Garmin primarily on nav.

Last edited by aquaforce; 03-22-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Simrad makes the Vessel view for Mercury, so if you went Simrad I think you can eliminate the VV screens and have the same functions on the Simrad displays. I have a boat full of Garmin stuff and I am happy with it. don't think you will be unhappy with either one.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are some thing to think about:
1) Engine Data: Both units will display complete engine data. However the Simrad is authorized by Mercury and is able to use Smartcraft Vessel view screen. Both also have totally customizable engine pages as well. I would give the advantage to Simrad
2) Charting. Both units are easy to use. The Simrad has a hybrid touck with keypad to the side. This may be useful but cuts down allowable screen size. Chart capabliites on both are good. If you do not need buttons and want the biggest screen advantage Garmin.
3) Stereo control. If you are using the Fusion stereo head units and or CZone advantage Garmin for sure. Has one of the best media interfaces around.
4) Wifi, The Garmin units have built in wifi and apps for your phone that allow complete control of the unit. So if you have the stereo interfaced you can control from the dock or beach. Advantage Garmin
5) Cameras: Garmin has really nice VIRB HD wireless cameras that connect to the GPS directly so you can see video and control from the display. These are great for on board videos and or poker runs. Advantage Garmin
6) Pricing is about the same for both units depending on size.
If you have any other questions feel free to reach out via PM.
I am based in Fort Lauderdale.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get furuno before I got either, but between the 2 I'd go Garmin.

Furno Maps aren't great on lakes but their nav is incredible.

Any NMEA 2K unit will display your Merc Data.

The Garmin has more frequent updates, but they discontinue systems quickly.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 03-22-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did simrad evo 2 12" when it was a reasonably new unit. I didn't like it from the get go. Had some glitches that an update eventually fixed. The evo 3 is out now but it looks like a apple iPhone type update . A few little new features and some hype drives the market.

Garmin is much more intuitive in my opinion. And next time around I doubt I'll do simrad again but who knows....

That being said we've got much different uses. I use mine for nav, depth/fish, and now radar
Old 03-22-2017, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was looking at both as well, and ended up with the Garmin. I went to West Marine where they had both on display, and played with both. I found the Garmin to be much more user friendly and respond much much faster than anything else there. When you would touch and drag the map, the Simrad would have to think for a bit. Same thing when you pushed a button, it would take a second to react. The Garmin is instant. I dont have mine hooked up to the stereo or engine instruments so I can't comment on that.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Garmin for me mainly because of the reasons Double Rigged mentioned.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Here are some thing to think about:
1) Engine Data: Both units will display complete engine data. However the Simrad is authorized by Mercury and is able to use Smartcraft Vessel view screen. Both also have totally customizable engine pages as well. I would give the advantage to Simrad
2) Charting. Both units are easy to use. The Simrad has a hybrid touck with keypad to the side. This may be useful but cuts down allowable screen size. Chart capabliites on both are good. If you do not need buttons and want the biggest screen advantage Garmin.
3) Stereo control. If you are using the Fusion stereo head units and or CZone advantage Garmin for sure. Has one of the best media interfaces around.
4) Wifi, The Garmin units have built in wifi and apps for your phone that allow complete control of the unit. So if you have the stereo interfaced you can control from the dock or beach. Advantage Garmin
5) Cameras: Garmin has really nice VIRB HD wireless cameras that connect to the GPS directly so you can see video and control from the display. These are great for on board videos and or poker runs. Advantage Garmin
6) Pricing is about the same for both units depending on size.
If you have any other questions feel free to reach out via PM.
I am based in Fort Lauderdale.
Hi Ron,

Gave you a call the other day and left message but then got busy up here and forgot to call back.

Will you be in the office Thursday?
Old 03-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes sir

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.