Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
My boat vs. the S&P500 this year? >

My boat vs. the S&P500 this year?

Notices

My boat vs. the S&P500 this year?

Old 10-10-2002, 06:40 PM
Uncle Toys

Right on TJ! My best friend has lived his entire professional life to get to retirement a little early. Not for me - no way! My goal has been to get my career to the point where I enjoy it too much to retire. By the way, post your avitar picture in the readers rides. Would like to see it.

Mike, if it works on your wife, by all means, use it! And maybe its time for you to upgrade your display name. Not sure 800+hp qualifies for "Mice" anymore

Aren't there some boat dealers on this board that could give me there opinion on this first year depreciation?

Old 10-10-2002, 06:47 PM
Cat & Mice

UT, I like how innocent “Mice” sounds.

I think 1st year deprecation is a little hard on a Custom boat like yours. If you find the right buyer that really loves what you have done he will pay top dollar. Some people have a hard time building something cool but when they see it they want it and are willing to pay. Boats like yours are more like a fine painting, too the right person it is priceless.

Pyle

Old 10-10-2002, 06:55 PM
Uncle Toys

OK Mike, what do you want

Old 10-10-2002, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UT,

We pulled some money out when the Dow was at 10,400 for the Cig. I have been saying all along that the money has been better off invested in the boat than it would have been if we left it in the market.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:23 PM
Banned

Earlier this year, I was thinking of going in debt up to my eyeballs to get a new boat. My figuring is by the time I could really "afford" one, (if there is ever such a time), I'd be too old to enjoy it (just turned 47). Luckily I found a used boat that Debbie and I just love, that I could pay cash for. Who knows, I may still take the plunge next year. The worse thing they could do is come get the boat back, they can't cut a piece out of my ass and eat it!

Remember, nobody on their death bed said they wished they had spent more time at the office!

hmmmmm, that 37 OL is looking good!
Old 10-10-2002, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got my boat (1995) used june of 2001 paid $16,500 for it and N.A.D.A. blue book is $22,500 and a couple of poeple here have the same boat for sale for $25-$27 I would say I did beter than if I would have put that in the market. Special sence 9-11-01.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:35 PM
Registered

It`s only money!!Can`t take it with you! I`ve seen to many die with it all in the bank,not having so as to have later.NOT!!! I live for today put a little aside for tomorrow,TOMORROW IS NOT GURANTEED!!!! When I`m 60 I hope it`s not going to take alot $$$$$ to keep me going. By then I will be able to say "BEEN THERE DONE THAT".