If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Uncle Toys

My boat vs. the S&P500 this year?

Just curious, what do you experts think the first year depreciation on a boat like mine runs in terms of a percentage?

Currently (year-to-date) the stock market as measured by the S&P500 is down 31%. Boats donít deprecate that much in the first year do they?

Just want to bust some balls around the office of the guys that teased me about putting this much cash into a depreciating asset.

Toxic FORMULA Platinum Member mopower's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1989 Formula SR-1 272 t/540's
    pitman nj
    Yeah , Last night I guy I work with was crying about how he's lost $400,000 over the past couple of years in his 401K and the stock market .
    I pointed out to him how my Formula hasn't lost NEAR that much . This same guy also said what a bad investment my boat was when I bought it three years ago.
    Now to add insult to injury and to kick a guy when he's down , I pointed out how if he took that money and bought a good boat three years ago , instead of his 20'center console / 150 Merc egg beater , he would still have 2/3 of his money(in the boat) and had a helluva boat to enjoy the past three years
    BOY , did I tighten his jaws
    You can never have too much horsepower or money...It's just hard to have both.

Member #154 Platinum Member Indy's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Missing my PowerPlay
    SW CT & Long Island Sound
    Talk about timing here...last night I was talking with my fiance about how both of us have taken a beating in our retirement $$ and how a boat would have been a better investment from a depreciation standpoint!!! Gee...I wish I would have known about this a few years ago, it would have been a no brainer to "invest" in a new Top Gun with little to no resistance from the better half

My Boats:
    2009 FORMULA 292
    Lake George, NY it's not called "Queen of American Lakes" for nothin'!
    Since I bought mine pre-owned 3 years ago, my asset didn't depreciate at all!

My Boats:
    340 Sundancer with 8.1s, formerly 1999 33 Outlaw HP500s
    Boca Raton, FL
    15-20% 1st year
    10-15% years 2-4

going 75 in 4 footers, priceless

My Boats:
    1996 Wellcraft Scarab Sport & 1990 Donzi GT210
    Clearwater, Florida
    I got a steal on mine (preowned). I have lost very little if any$$. Not bad, huh

My Boats:
    little cat...BIG MOTOR
    Aurora Ontario
    UT,I bet I could get dam near what I paid for my one year old daytona if I sold it now I am going to have to work for about 5 more years to make up what my retirement savings lost in the last year

Syracuse, New York
    uhh bought used ...sold three summers later for more. I would say thats a good market.
    Thanks Miller!

Cat & Mice

Toy's are all about justification and that is the best justification I have heard yet. For once in our lives it actually works.

UT, Can I use this??

Gold Member Gold Member Turbojack's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2003 Eliminator 30' Daytona
    Houston, TX, USA
    Don't want to think about it. In the last 3 years I know about 4 or 5 people that have died either my age or a little younger. Most of them did not want to spend any money but wanted to save it for retirement. Make me change my outlook. So Enjoy today, there may be NO tommorrow. (that would make a good tag line)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast