Notices

38 power play

Old 04-11-2017, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TBAG
Still amazes me people would ruin such a great boat with a cartoon character and silly lettering to go with it!
Yeah, explain that to the guy spending $50k to make it his own. That was a big "thing" with most of the Offshore boats, especially Powerplay as they had some of the best paint schemes in the industry at one time - just a sign of the times and only limited to your imagination.

Originally Posted by TBAG
I'm not a painter and just curious but what would it cost to "fix" this boat and totally remove the cartoon character?
If you tried to "paint" it out and keep the base theme, it would be a difficult task to get color and blending to match.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
It would be great if the 38 PP was to come back for Dan and his old crew to build them. Dan may not have been the best business man but he could build one he!! of a boat and was a perfectionist. Even though he knew the hull and deck he built for Wayne was going to get butchered, the hull and deck were laid up like any other of the boats he built. No shortcuts taken. I remember holding one of the chunks of the side of the hull you see missing in the pics above. Foam-cored perfection. Built like a brick sh!thouse.
Dan was finishing today's boats with tommorow's deposits........like a ponzi scheme, they eventually can't keep up the cash flow!

Yes he built great boats but today they are dinosaurs and for what it would cost for a new 33/38 new he wouldn't have many takers.

I like both of these 38's and if money was no object I would buy one, repaint to match the black boat and power with a pair of Merc 860's and #6's.......Then I would buy the other, paint it all white with a Powerplay script on the side and rig it with triple 400's..............game over, you have two of the ultimate 38's for any occasion!
Old 04-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Dan was finishing today's boats with tommorow's deposits........like a ponzi scheme, they eventually can't keep up the cash flow!

Yes he built great boats but today they are dinosaurs and for what it would cost for a new 33/38 new he wouldn't have many takers.

I like both of these 38's and if money was no object I would buy one, repaint to match the black boat and power with a pair of Merc 860's and #6's.......Then I would buy the other, paint it all white with a Powerplay script on the side and rig it with triple 400's..............game over, you have two of the ultimate 38's for any occasion!
Darn, for a moment this sounded like a Pantera thread
Old 04-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Darn, for a moment this sounded like a Pantera thread
Sadly both companies had a lot of the same issues......and would suffer from the same issues if someone tried to resurrect the brands today.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:19 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Yes he built great boats but today they are dinosaurs
Yes, a dinosaur just like it's smaller sibling that won't spin out, get out of shape, won't flip over, won't rattle apart when running offshore (as these boats are supposed to do), behave predictably, run respectably fast, rigged flawlessly, attention to detail, and look great...maybe considering some of the recent threads around here we need more of these dinosaurs.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Yes, a dinosaur just like it's smaller sibling that won't spin out, get out of shape, won't flip over, won't rattle apart when running offshore (as these boats are supposed to do), behave predictably, run respectably fast, rigged flawlessly, attention to detail, and look great...maybe considering some of the recent threads around here we need more of these dinosaurs.
I'd take a 28, 33 or 38 dinosaur any day of the week!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I'd take a 28, 33 or 38 dinosaur any day of the week!
Originally Posted by Indy

I meant from a business standpoint they would be a hard sell as new boats today.........from an ownership standpoint I don't think they built a better boat! People want more bling, more comfort features, more performance, etc.

I did see a forum post once that someone wanted a 33 Powerplay CC and since the cockpit wasn't self bailing it was a deal breaker. I thought to myself it is a narrow beam go fast center console, not a purpose built fishing boat!
Old 04-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the 38 seemed to run good with all different types of power in it and drives... outboards , diesel/ arneson bravos, and sixes.. not many boats you can rigg with all those combinations and get good results
Old 04-12-2017, 12:35 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

I meant from a business standpoint they would be a hard sell as new boats today.........from an ownership standpoint I don't think they built a better boat! People want more bling, more comfort features, more performance, etc.

I did see a forum post once that someone wanted a 33 Powerplay CC and since the cockpit wasn't self bailing it was a deal breaker. I thought to myself it is a narrow beam go fast center console, not a purpose built fishing boat!
maybe I am old school, but would rather have well built and simple then all the bling and other bs.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Sadly both companies had a lot of the same issues......and would suffer from the same issues if someone tried to resurrect the brands today.
Spot On....
It amazes me every time I see a post about how the Cigarette or Outerlimits is over-priced, think again.
These companies are barely in business.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.