Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I love happy endings!
Best kind of massage there is!
Old 05-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, new issues, sort of... Tried to run the generator last weekend and this weekend and more problems. Here is what it's doing this time, the overflow hose (runs from the top of the fill cap to the overflow bottle) keeps falling out. I'm not sure how that is supposed to attach since the hose just slips down into the bottle. I tried to tape it and tried to use some heat shrink with a hose clamp and eventually it still works it's way out. Once that happens it starts dumping coolant and over heats. Another thing that I noticed that seems weird is that the overflow bucket is always full... Any new ideas? I'm about to just call the Kohler Tech and tell them to get it fixed..
Old 05-21-2017, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Any chance you got a blown head gasket, or a warped head, from it over-heating ?
Old 05-21-2017, 06:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I agree, it sounds like you have a blown head gasket, or compromised heat exchanger, or another part of the system; and you are "making" coolant.

Given your location, I am assuming that you are in salt water. If this is the case, I would address this absolutely 100% immediately; as you have now mixed salt water into the closed part of the system.

The first thing I would do with drain all the coolant, fill and run it or freshwater to warm it up and are certain that thermostat and the system is open. Then drain it and fill it with freshwater and run it again.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-21-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, went down to the boat and drained the overflow bottle down to about 1/4 full and topped off the coolant I the engine. Started the generator and ran like a champ for over an hour with a heavy load. That was all the time I had. I'm really not sure what's going on since through this entire process I feel like I haven't found a "smoking gun".
I don't think I'm "making coolant" since it ended up in the overflow and in my bilge. The coolant chamber was low. Also for the hour or so I ran it today it ran like a top, no coolant leaks, plenty of water coming out of the exhaust, no overheating...
Old 05-22-2017, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn Kohlers... Year before last I somehow ended up with fresh water in both of the cylinders over the winter on my 5E. Don't ask how... It had run flawlessly all summer long. Long story longer, I rebuilt the top end and re-rigged the muffler set up (think the hose was holding water causing the water in the cylinders) and it now runs fine. However, once I shut it down after a full weekend of running (12+ hours) and put the boat up for the week, all the coolant from the overflow bottle drains out and ends up in the genset tray. Ironically, the heat exchanger remains full. Top it off to the cold line and go boating... This happens every weekend. No signs of leaking on the engine, runs fine, no overheating or leaking while the engine is running. Go Figure...