Notices

Pirates on Lanier

Old 04-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have done this run for the past 5 years and I am local and a working stiff. So yes I will be attending this run, I think there will be some changes but hopefully they will be good. As a local guy I feel the need to support local events or they will go away. From what I heard the new rules were handed down from the State and Core not the event planers. But then again guys we have to remember A Poker Run is not a Race.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
If you could get 2 weeks away to travel across the states then you sure could But a lot of working stiff's have to pick one or the other.

Georgia and Kentucky are not on opposite coasts and a mere few hours of driving beteeen. Just saying.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Georgia and Kentucky are not on opposite coasts and a mere few hours of driving beteeen. Just saying.
thanks

I didn't know that and google couldn't find any maps to help me with this. This is a real relief of a post.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
It's a shame but I believe the event will be very different than in the past.

This is NOT due to the accident but due to the changes in the presenting organization and the style of event the remaining members want to host. I wish them well, and I hope they raise a lot of money, but we will not be attending under the new format.

I will watch the changes and maybe we will reevaluate next year.

If the changes were handed down from state agencies then that run is done for performance boats. If a non-poker run participant had gotten hurt/killed by someone doing the run the lawyers fees alone could exceed whatever money the charities raised since the inception of the run. While some of the promoters have deep pockets to defend themselves, some of the promoters were just there to help out so waiting to be served wouldn't be much fun for them.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:19 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

The only change from the Corp that directly affected the run was no group/flag start. I hated that part anyway and it hasn't always had that anyway.

The change in "event style" was certainly a result of different ideas of the board members,
Old 04-15-2017, 05:29 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Cash -

Good info and something I was curious about. Let's see what happens this year. I suspect that attendance will be down substantially and perhaps that will cause modifications for the better the following year. It is one of the best venues in the country for a Poker Run and I certainly hope to be able to do one again on Lake Lanier.

That said,trailering 15+ hours to a pontoon fest is not something I'm interested in.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, about 300 boats register for this event annually, many of which are local. Due to that, I don't think attendance will be down all that much this year, the event is still for charity and still on the same lake, but we will see. For the charity/children's sake, I hope the event continues without a hitch.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by myattitude
I have done this run for the past 5 years and I am local and a working stiff. So yes I will be attending this run, I think there will be some changes but hopefully they will be good. As a local guy I feel the need to support local events or they will go away. From what I heard the new rules were handed down from the State and Core not the event planers. But then again guys we have to remember A Poker Run is not a Race.

"Core" handing out rules ?????? The same Corps that can't even do their job in marking the lake??? After hitting "million dollar point" and they still did not mark it I have some serious heart burn and they want to make rules for others. Govt garbage!!!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:30 PM
Registered

Does anyone want to explain in more detail what "rules" these are that have changed from last year? With the exception of group starts...which won't stop friends from starting together anyway. No speed limit last I heard, booze is still allowed, women are still permitted on the lake...are there actual rule changes?
Old 04-16-2017, 10:22 PM
Registered

Not an official start but American Thunder will be leaving the dam at 11 if anyone wants to join me 😉

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.