If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Paging 28ss or anyone else that has pulled a motor in a Cig 28ss!

How in the hell do you get the motor out? I am currently trying to remove the engine/sbc with the tranny/velvet and the tailstock all attached, I have tried everything and cant get the fu$ker out. I suppose that I will have to remove the tailstock

oh yeah the drive is already off.

Offshoreonly Advertiser Offshoreonly Advertiser Mbam's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1972 Cigarette 36 race
    Pompano Beach FL, USA
    I don't mean to question you, but are you sure that is a Velvet Drive. I don't remember there being enough room in a 28 to move the engine forward.

In any case, we used to pull the exhaust so we had some wiggle room, angle it sideways and then just about stand it straight up. At the time we used an OTC deal with a worm gear on the chain attached to the engine to allow a simultaneous lift and tilt.

Yes, tag on the tranny says Velvet model 10-18-014. Anyway I have removed everything around the motors except the trim pumps on the front wall wich I am going to do tonight. But I still am not sure that it will be enough room

Were doomed! Charter Member Wally's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Chris Craft Stinger 222
    Chicago, IL
    Thrillseeker, if youre sure you have everything detached/dissconnected.....then make sure youre not lifting the engine to high up when trying to get it out. The tail stock will bind in the transome plate cause no movement. Try to lift the engine just hight enough the motor mounts are clear and maybe use a small prybar to try and shift the engine forward. Theres also a foam dohnut gasket around the tail stock that may be holding you back but i wouldnt think that thing would ba a problem. good luck!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

My Boats:
    1976 cigarette 28ss
    Shelby Township MI
    TS mine has merc trans in it . I took off all accs , exh.
    left trans on pull eng fwd twist push eng back a little lift out.
    that's how it works for me.