Hooking up 525 Smartcraft to Simrad NSS >

Hooking up 525 Smartcraft to Simrad NSS

Notices

Hooking up 525 Smartcraft to Simrad NSS

Old 04-16-2017, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up 525 Smartcraft to Simrad NSS

Just as the title says, I am looking to hook up a pair of Merc 525s to a Simrad NSS unit. If twin engines, I would assume use Vessel View Link as the gateway, part #8M0110641. What else will be needed to hook this up correctly. Junction Blocks, Terminating resistors, wiring harnesses etc... part numbers would much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm in the process of considering something similar (but with Garmin). I believe all you need is the gateway.
https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/...R.pdf?u=orhjei
Old 04-17-2017, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a quick schematic from when I installed a Vessel View 7 (NSS 7) in my boat last year.

I used to have a list of all the cable part numbers and such, but I can't seem to find it right now.

EDIT:

Found a couple more bits of info...wish I'd kept better track of this at the time, for future use. lol Hope this helps.

Last edited by Wasted Income; 04-17-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

In order to get the information on the GPS whether it is a Simrad or Garmin you will need the mercury gateway yes and also set up a NMEA2000 backbone to hook up the mercury gateway to the units.
The NMEA2000 backbone needs to have power also.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Right - I failed to make that point. I put in a powered backbone when I installed my Fusion headunit and remote.

Wasted - is the Link cable already present in stock form, or do you have to add that?

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
In order to get the information on the GPS whether it is a Simrad or Garmin you will need the mercury gateway yes and also set up a NMEA2000 backbone to hook up the mercury gateway to the units.
The NMEA2000 backbone needs to have power also.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!
Right - I failed to make that point. I put in a powered backbone when I installed my Fusion headunit and remote.

Wasted - is the Link cable already present in stock form, or do you have to add that?
I started with zero smartcraft wiring to the helm, so I had to start from scratch basically. If your boat already has any sort of smartcraft gauges or monitors, or if the smartcraft cables are already run to the helm, it gets a lot easier for you.

The older VesselView 7 has the smartcraft gateway built in, so I didn't need to deal with any of that. However, i'm currently upgrading to a Vessel View 702 (NSS Evo2) and that unit uses the same 8M0110641 smartcraft gateway.
You will still need all the items between the 6 port junction box and the engines.

Last edited by Wasted Income; 04-17-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This question is directed to "wasted income" . Have you completed your upgrade to the 702? If so, are you getting a "rudder position/steering indicator" on your display screen? I completed an upgrade from the first generation "system view" to the VV502. It is the smaller display version of what you are using. I am not getting a "rudder position/steering indicator" display. The retail vendor and Mercruiser customer service have been of zero assistance. I posted a thread titled Vesselview 502 a while back. Thanks
Old 05-01-2017, 06:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

You are going to need Merc part #8m0105243. That is the CAN -> NMEA 2K gateway. If you already have a nmea 2K backbone and an open j-box port, that's all you need.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Holy crap lots of info backbones, links, etc, I want to get rid of the Smartcraft and install a newer unit. Hopefully I can get with one of you techies before I get started.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Barrydet
This question is directed to "wasted income" . Have you completed your upgrade to the 702? If so, are you getting a "rudder position/steering indicator" on your display screen? I completed an upgrade from the first generation "system view" to the VV502. It is the smaller display version of what you are using. I am not getting a "rudder position/steering indicator" display. The retail vendor and Mercruiser customer service have been of zero assistance. I posted a thread titled Vesselview 502 a while back. Thanks
You are saying that you desire to have the rudder/steering indicator on the screen, but it's not showing up?

I finished my install, but the boat hasn't been wet yet. I personally don't have or need the steering/rudder stuff, since to my knowledge, the 496/bravo package in my boat doesn't have those sensors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.