36ft Skater At Over 100mph

Notices

36ft Skater At Over 100mph

Old 10-11-2002, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Shane
mr_velocity,

According to Mr. Hledin, the #6 boat is faster than the ones with bravos.
Neither Curtis nor we could even come close to the Peppers 36 with Bravos, although he had imco boxes stacked on #6 boxes.
Other than top speed accelleration was not even close since we had to weigh 1000# more than the bravos.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

A Bravo/XR boat will have a faster top speed than #6's. The Six drives suck up more horsepower but will live a lot longer. Rough water is where the Six's will really perform.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Registered

Originally posted by TulsaLarry

Who could forget Daytona '01, that race was not a matter of keeping the boats together, it was more of trying to keep the racer's bodies together. If I remember right Advil and alcohol were needed in large doses after the race.
That was a tough race although I still think Corpus takes the most out of you.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:30 PM
Sunsation 32

I rode in one on the lake, calm water, at 150mph it was like sitting on my couch, with alot of wind of course. A ride in a Skater is something every boat enthusiast should enjoy at least once in his lifetime.

Old 10-11-2002, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The drysump 6's don't suck more hp to the prop than Bravo's, in fact they draw less hp when comparing drive to drive. The main differences are in hydro-dynamic drag (long torpedo, big thick blade section props, large skeg), weight, and hp loss in the BW tranny. I contend that if the boats running 6's in SuperCat Light could have the same minimum weight, run thinned props, and run crash boxes instead of BW's, they would probably be more than competitive.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tom R

So, how fast is Yahoo 2 with what load? I have the original Yahoo 1. It tops out between 108 and 114 (gps) depending on load, wind, etc.

John B
Old 10-11-2002, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Speed

John B,

We had five people in the boat with 3/4 full fuel and hit just over 105gps. We took two passes running into Hyannis outer harbor, negotiating a little fishing & ferry boat traffic and just plane ran out of room to keep climing in speed.
John had been out a couple of hours earlier with 5 people on board with less than 1/2 load of fuel and was able to hit 109gps.
He feels that given the right conditions that it should run 112 or 113mph.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:30 PM
Registered

Tom, that's very respectable for a 6 drive 36. Curtis told me he was going to move the motors forward so the boat would fly level. I wonder if he had that done before John bought it. Thanks for the reply. Keep us informed.
JB
Old 10-12-2002, 07:44 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Falcon
The drysump 6's don't suck more hp to the prop than Bravo's, in fact they draw less hp when comparing drive to drive. The main differences are in hydro-dynamic drag (long torpedo, big thick blade section props, large skeg), weight, and hp loss in the BW tranny. I contend that if the boats running 6's in SuperCat Light could have the same minimum weight, run thinned props, and run crash boxes instead of BW's, they would probably be more than competitive.
With the double verticle shafts I think the six does eat more HP. Then you have the transmission to deal with also.

The biggest problem with SCL boat weighing 1000#s more is acceleration. We got our clocks cleaned coming out of every turn. The Bravo boats would just pull away. As for the rules, man you read my mind.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:54 PM
Registered

Default Shane

With the extra weight of a 6 drive, plus the transmission, plus the bigger gears and prop, their is only one way a 6 boat will beat a Bravo in a similar hull. And that is the X dimension location which can change top speed more than 10 mph on a cat.

We can disagree JB

PS This seems to be the basis of the protest in Super Cat Light class at the NYC race. Bank Beaters (6's) was pulling away from the Bravo boats in the straights.

It may have been suggested his motors are superior.

Last edited by John B; 10-12-2002 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 36ft Skater At Over 100mph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.