Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   36ft skater and big waves... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/34661-36ft-skater-big-waves.html)

Panther 10-11-2002 04:10 PM

46 Skater??????

Easy there Mr_Velocity!

The consulting business aint that good!! That would have to be a heck of a raise, or better yet a winning lotery ticket!

If I get it, can I keep it at your place? Not sure if Chuckie would let me keep it at his.

I think a 36 Apache, or 38ft. Cig are in the works for me. Although a Skater with 575's would be nice! I don't have the dough though!!

John B 10-11-2002 10:22 PM

Owner 36 reply

If you can go over 60 mph, 36 Skater is KING. In 4-5 footers (closely spaced), your in for a chitty ride in anything. Here the advantage goes to the big V bottom because you can plow along at speeds up to maybe 45 with out too much discomfort. A cat at these speeds has two problems. First, the tunnel (flat bottom) takes hits from the waves and humps you to death. Second, part of these waves hitting the tunnel will be forced back out the front of the tunnel and you drive thru the spray. This can be OK if your wearing a bathing suit, it's over 90 degrees, and fresh water.

Therefore if you have to go out in the rough stuff take a big V.

If you run a 36 skater in rough stuff, over 60, you could trip and stuff, or hook a sponson and roll. Neither is heathy.

Going over 100 in a 36 can get boring, in a V bottom it's exciting because it's so scary.

JB

hammereab 10-12-2002 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by T2x
U.T.

We took Gary and Karen Bicker's beautiful "Danger Zone", a 36 pleasure Skater with twin 900 sc's, from Point Pleasant NJ to the NY SBI race in New York Harbor. We had medium to light seas in the Atlantic going up and averaged about 90 mph (cruising)......The seas were downright snotty coming home......solid 4-5's with an occasional "7th wave" just to keep it interesting and give us some big air. It took us 5 minutes longer to return and we averaged about 80.

Nuff said.

THere is NO frame of reference between anything you've ridden in .......and a Skater. Sorry you missed "On The Prowl" at Skaterfest.

T2x

Here's a pic of Danger Zone I took at the Thousand Islands poker run this August. Awesome boat, lousy picture.:D

Shane 10-12-2002 09:03 AM

JohnB,

With all due respect you seem contradictory in your reply. Additionally, I disagree with your assessment of not only the ride but the handling as well. I am unclear...do you own a 36? Again, not being disrespectful, just disagreeing.

KiloKat 10-12-2002 09:11 AM

Originally posted by Uncle Toys
What kind of speed must you maintain to operate the boat properly (airpack).

Uncle Toys - Both of my 36 Skaters (pleasure & Bacardi Silver) are fully "packed" by 80. However, depending upon setup, the best ride/handling seems to occur above 90.

racesdad 10-12-2002 09:15 AM

well mr. velocity,you didnt out run everyone remember that other little yellow and white 36 that was there.. anyway we won 96 wc in kw in 8-10 seas at over 100mph average.the best cat on the market no doubt.:D :D :D :D

John B 10-12-2002 07:32 PM

Shane

Yes, I own a 36 skater (TEAM YAHOO 1) with 500 EFI's. Too clarify, I empathize (closely spaced 4-5 footers), which is to say wave peaks 20 feet apart not ocean rollers! Cats suck in this stuff at speeds under 50, and over 50 you stand a good chance of getting hurt! I have personally stuffed my 36 into a 5 footer at 25 mph in a following sea. Like about 100 gallons in the cockpit on (in) Lake Erie. Off Ft.Lauderdale in the same conditions, we had so much salt in our shorts we couldn't cross our legs without pain.

Before this I had a 28 Skater with 300's, which I sold before I killed myself. Before that a blown 38 Top Gun.

Last winter we went to a Fla. Powerboat event in a 38 Formula, and from Hillsboro to Miami we were in the same 4-5 foot tightly spaced chit and had a ball at about 45 mph. Also never got wet.

It all depends on the conditions. Ask Jim Denooyer how fasthe will run his 165 mph 32 Skater in 3-5 footers. He lives near you.

BTW, How about the 3 brothers that died in their new 36 Skater in N.J. this summer.
:( Regards, John B

mr_velocity 10-12-2002 07:35 PM

Originally posted by racesdad
well mr. velocity,you didnt out run everyone remember that other little yellow and white 36 that was there.. anyway we won 96 wc in kw in 8-10 seas at over 100mph average.the best cat on the market no doubt.:D :D :D :D
Yes I do and if I remember correctly we lapped that boat in Sarasota. In flat water there was not touching that yellow and white boat.
The most memorable experience had to be the zero visability when the thunderstorm blew threw and the kept the race on.

Bonnie 10-13-2002 12:35 AM

Originally posted by Uncle Toys
mr_velocity – I believe we are all fairly convinced that Skaters are the bomb for racing. However, most of us don’t race. Could you shed some light on the 36’ Skater as a pleasure boat i.e. the non-professional driver taking friends and family for a run in the ocean. What happens if the 3’ seas on the way out, turn big on the way home? Can you slow the thing down and make your way back? What kind of speed must you maintain to operate the boat properly (airpack).

The lake is getting a little boring and we are making more and more friends that play in the ocean. But they all have V hulls. Love my smaller cat on the lake, just not sure yet if there is a cat that will do both for us.

puder 10-13-2002 11:22 AM

John B

the 3 brothers: that was thier first cat and I had heard it was thier first performance boat