questions about surveys and surveyors >

questions about surveys and surveyors

Notices

questions about surveys and surveyors

Old 05-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about surveys and surveyors

I just had my first experience with a surveyor and a survey. Is it normal, given the time of year and that we here in Ontario have experienced a colder and far wetter than average spring, that it take 3 weeks from first contact to the date of the actual survey to be performed? Is it normal that it take 5 business days to get a copy of the survey? Is it normal that a credit card number be requested on first contact with a surveyor to facilitate getting your name in the cue for a booking for the survey to be performed? Is it normal that a surveyor will and I quote..."get to it when I get to it"? Is it normal that a surveyor speak to a potential client as if he/she are a pain in the ass? Is it normal that when the surveyor is requested to amend the survey to reflect the actual model of the boat although it is the same boat in the same condition, the valuation changes by 20K and the replacement cost for a new similar boat is devalued 40K...the original replacement cost value being no where close to what it would cost to buy new? Is it normal for a surveyor to climb all through a freshly painted boat with his or her shoes on? Is it normal for a surveyor to smear streaks of mud along the hut sides and deck of a boat, these last 2 points illustrating flagrant disregard for someone else's property let alone common courtesy and respect?

I am asking these questions in all sincerity. Yes they reflect my experience but this is not to slander or malign any one individual, merely my own curiosity, not having been through such an experience previously. Any insight is appreciated.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Find out if he is a SAMS or NAMS surveyor and file a complaint if he belongs.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Registered

SAMS and AMS
Old 05-04-2017, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

Do you really need to ask those questions?
Old 05-04-2017, 07:31 PM
Registered

yeah I do...seems the boating world has it's own set of standards and levels of customer service... as example a repair that is estimated to require 3 days lasts 3 weeks.
said repair requires 3 trips back to get it right.
the above example with surveyor.
I'm curious if this is the standard.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't get me started.....
Old 05-04-2017, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Seems to be my typical experience with them.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

General answer is no. This has not been my experience. But I'm not in your area, either.

Originally Posted by Pete35Fountain
I just had my first experience with a surveyor and a survey. Is it normal, given the time of year and that we here in Ontario have experienced a colder and far wetter than average spring, that it take 3 weeks from first contact to the date of the actual survey to be performed? Is it normal that it take 5 business days to get a copy of the survey? Is it normal that a credit card number be requested on first contact with a surveyor to facilitate getting your name in the cue for a booking for the survey to be performed? Is it normal that a surveyor will and I quote..."get to it when I get to it"? Is it normal that a surveyor speak to a potential client as if he/she are a pain in the ass? Is it normal that when the surveyor is requested to amend the survey to reflect the actual model of the boat although it is the same boat in the same condition, the valuation changes by 20K and the replacement cost for a new similar boat is devalued 40K...the original replacement cost value being no where close to what it would cost to buy new? Is it normal for a surveyor to climb all through a freshly painted boat with his or her shoes on? Is it normal for a surveyor to smear streaks of mud along the hut sides and deck of a boat, these last 2 points illustrating flagrant disregard for someone else's property let alone common courtesy and respect?

I am asking these questions in all sincerity. Yes they reflect my experience but this is not to slander or malign any one individual, merely my own curiosity, not having been through such an experience previously. Any insight is appreciated.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I have had very good luck dealing with out of state surveyors being my eyes in WI and LA. I had them do a video conference during inspection and really dug deep on their credentials before paying and scheduling. There are no guarantees on anything but stacked as much as I could in my corner. Getting a surveyor that can talk performance boats is key.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Only have used Ed Cozzi

Never had any time issue or "get there when I get there". Professional, punctual, and detailed start to finish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.