Lookinig for build info on 1980 Hammond V2150 Challenger >

Lookinig for build info on 1980 Hammond V2150 Challenger

Notices

Lookinig for build info on 1980 Hammond V2150 Challenger

Old 05-05-2017, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lookinig for build info on 1980 Hammond V2150 Challenger

Picked up this hull a month or so ago and am thrilled with it. Wondering if anyone has any tech drawings or might know someone who knows someone that i could pick their brains a bit... Oddly,water at times seems to collect up in the cabin bow area and I do not see any hint of drainage running aft. I have to open the hatches and sponge it out and let it dry. Also, don't see any drainage for under cockpit area to go aft into bilge to get pumped out. Drilling some holes is not a big deal, but obviously would want to know about fuel tank proximity to bulkhead just in front of the engine. Have seen some pics of the area in question, but tank was removed, so didn't really help me on figuring out my issue.

Wonderful hull, that's for sure. Buffed it out and nearly all the metalflake sparkles once again. Runs great but will be needing some love in terms of control cables and control panel as the bushings and shifter feel worn out. If hour meter is correct, it shows close to 500.

Anyone know what they top out at? I am thinking it is getting close to 60... with what I believe to be a 14.5 x 23 cleaver style/through hub ss prop.

Thanks for any help!

- Doug
Old 05-06-2017, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm your huckleberry.....Owned a 84 Challenger and know them well. Sounds like the stock prop. With the Merc 260 they ran right at 60 mph stock. Now modified is a different story......

https://youtu.be/gbnBNN3NjGY
Old 05-07-2017, 12:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
I'm your huckleberry.....Owned a 84 Challenger and know them well. Sounds like the stock prop. With the Merc 260 they ran right at 60 mph stock. Now modified is a different story......

https://youtu.be/gbnBNN3NjGY
Thanks for shouting out. Funny, I saw that when I did a search on Hammond. Got a big kick out of it, but knew damn well that was a LOT more engine and out drive than I have! I am all ears for info... But would like to start with my curiosity on the lack of good drainage from bow and midship to aft bilge and how to rectify it without damaging the fuel tank or causing exposed, unprotected wood to be come waterlogged and rotten in time. Did you deal with that?
Old 05-07-2017, 07:53 AM
Registered

This was how my 84 was setup. I would assume yours to be the same. Rear bulkhead behind and below rear seat had a 1.25" hole dead bottom. Front bulkhead where you crawl into cuddy the same. These holes allowed any water up front or under tank to drain to bilge. The fuel tank is mounted in between the stringers and does not touch the hull. There is an air space below it. How is the water getting into the area under the cuddy is my question?
Mine developed a rotten transom and I sold it as a project boat.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:21 PM
Registered

This was how my 84 was setup. I would assume yours to be the same. Rear bulkhead behind and below rear seat had a 1.25" hole dead bottom. Front bulkhead where you crawl into cuddy the same. These holes allowed any water up front or under tank to drain to bilge. The fuel tank is mounted in between the stringers and does not touch the hull. There is an air space below it. How is the water getting into the area under the cuddy is my question?
Mine developed a rotten transom and I sold it as a project boat.
Well, cuddy area is now dry... think re-sealing the rub rail in the bow section did the trick. But no holes anywhere for drainage... but then again, mine is a 1980 and his first version of that boat.... much lower profile also. Cockpit floor may be lower as a result too... which has me thining about drilling a hole once again. Wonder if the stringers were taller in yours since the freeboard was increased for more room in the versions following the first one. AsI understand it, only 7 were made like mine. Then the new one got more room since Hammond found my version to be a little cramped.

Where did the transom rot occer? What was the original drive on yours? Did you swap drives? Wondering if I should be looking closely anywhere on mine. Everything seems very solid, and I think the boat has always lived out of the water, but you never know. Since I do not have drainage, I am a little curious about the condition of things between the bulkheads under the cockpit floor.

Yours certainly was a work of mechanical art... seemed to run like a raped ape! Ahhhh, so many questions... Will try not to kill you, but since these things are so rare, I feel fortunate to have found someone to fill in some blanks and share some advice. Don't see an engine/drive upgrade in the near future, but would be funf to know what you went with. Just had the Quadrajet rebuilt by Cliff Ruggles and it runs like a dream now. Seems to be a small, more cultish following for the Q-Jet. many seem to not understand or like them, but it actually seems to have a lot to offer... at least in my application.

What prop did you run on yours? Of course with different drive and engine/hp, it would be different than mine anyway, but I am curious. Once coming off plane, mine does slip a bit if I try to give a bit of power to keep that last push of water away from the transom. Drive had one of those goofy foils on it when I got it; but maybe there was a good reason for it? I dunno.... grew up in Ft. Laud and even worked with Bob Latham for a while... thought I had seen everything and every kind of hull, but never saw one of those weird ass plaining foil thingees. Just plain looks goofy as hell, but if it has merit, I'm big enough to suck it up and put it back on. Might have to just to see if it makes a difference coming off plane. Getting up on plane I see no difference.

Look forward to your comments and happy to go the phone route if that is more convenient for you, but someone else might find your knowledge useful at some point, so thought I would try it here first.

Many thanks!

- Doug
Old 05-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Registered

Glad to hear your getting somewhere. Crazy there is no way to drain to bilge. Transom rot on mine was from bilge plug up to top of transom plate. Eventually started leaking water around transom plate. Boat was wet slipped fro may thru sept its life. Boat originally came with an prealpha R outdrive. Ended up running a shortly Alpha SS. Prop I like best was a custom lab Hydromotive QIV 22p.

Build specs on the engine here...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...engine-fs.html

Sounds like yours is in very nice shape. They are few and far between anymore. Keep it stock and enjoy it. Would love to see some pics.

Boat collector from FL purchased it and had transom fixed and repowered. Resold it and it's now a few hours down the road. Ironic
Old 05-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Registered

Glad to hear your getting somewhere. Crazy there is no way to drain to bilge. Transom rot on mine was from bilge plug up to top of transom plate. Eventually started leaking water around transom plate. Boat was wet slipped fro may thru sept its life. Boat originally came with an prealpha R outdrive. Ended up running a shortly Alpha SS. Prop I like best was a custom lab Hydromotive QIV 22p.

Build specs on the engine here...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...engine-fs.html

Sounds like yours is in very nice shape. They are few and far between anymore. Keep it stock and enjoy it. Would love to see some pics.

Boat collector from FL purchased it and had transom fixed and repowered. Resold it and it's now a few hours down the road. Ironic
Appreciate the reply, That engine was a work of art! Will post some pics later of mine..... Needs some more love to be sure but I am indeed thrilled with it.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:37 AM
Registered

For the life of me, I cannot find the "manage attachments button" mentioned in the FAQ page for attaching a photo.... all I find is the small pic button up top that only allows for a url. Was going to post a photo of my Hammond, but seems more complicated than it should be. 😦
Old 05-11-2017, 08:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CanyonDoug
For the life of me, I cannot find the "manage attachments button" mentioned in the FAQ page for attaching a photo.... all I find is the small pic button up top that only allows for a url. Was going to post a photo of my Hammond, but seems more complicated than it should be. ��
Use photobucket and link from there.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Registered

OK... linked from photobucket and still not appearing...?

Last edited by CanyonDoug; 05-12-2017 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Photo did not appear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.