Get Rid of Covered safety cables >

Get Rid of Covered safety cables

Notices

Get Rid of Covered safety cables

Old 05-07-2017, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts
Default Get Rid of Covered safety cables

My car trailer had some limbs which I was moving. Didn't have that much in limbs so far as weight. Was in a hurry and thought the ball was in the receiver, and had the safety cables connected. Pulled forward and heard a thud, both safety cables snapped. These were class 4 (10,000 pound) cables with vinyl jackets, and both sides snapped in two. They rusted apart from the inside.

So use only chains or cables with no jacket. I think the ones that are not covered should be good, you would see if they were rusting. Thought the vinyl covered ones were also stainless, guess they are real low grade stainless. I like the cable because they are self recoiling, in most cases they don't drag on the ground

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567179[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567180[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Get Rid of Covered safety cables-photo1199.jpg   Get Rid of Covered safety cables-photo1200.jpg  
Old 05-07-2017, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! That's scary. If they can't hold at idle, I can imagine what would happen at speed. Guess I have another item to add to the checklist. Thanks for posting!
Old 05-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

I have clear jacket cables. It lets you see what's going on under the jacket.