Notices

Holly vs. MSD ignition

Old 10-13-2002, 05:20 PM
Tom
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holly vs. MSD ignition

I was lied to by the company that built my engine that Holly and MSD are interchangeable in both price and performance for offshore use. Holly turns out to be $100's cheaper and I am under the impression not very good either.

I had to replace the Holly coil with an MSD high vibration coil because the Holly coil shorted out. At the same time I had to replace the Holly ignition because replacing the coil did not work. I now have an MSD 6m ignition and high vibration coil.

Now the rotor on my holly distributor is toast coming from the coil wire. It looks like the same unit as the MSD rotor and the cap looks OK. I am starting to wonder if I should just replace it with a new MSD distributor and what about also getting a new MSD RPM rev control to go with it. New rotor is $25.00, new distributor is $300. Rev limiter is another $100 or so.

Anyone have an opinion? why would my rotor burn up in the center so badly? Would water cause it? Should I be pissed at the engine builder for claiming Holly and MSD were the same price?

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by Tom; 10-13-2002 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:31 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't really know about Holley , but you couldn't give me a gold plated MSD. Seen too many of them fail. A friend of mine lost 2 on his dyno and I think its 5 now on his boat. He also has an engine shop and does boat , drag and roundy round motors. You wouldn't believe the ones that come through there.
Myself...I'd stick with a Merc Thunderbolt.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:41 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I ran the Crane system this season with an MSD distributer. Hi-6 box with the Crane coil. I know several guys running this very system with no failures. KAAMA is running the same system. a bit cheaper than the MSD system too. Rev limiter is on the box and you can change the setting in about 30 seconds with a small screwdriver.

If you want an MSD soft touch rev limiter that will work with the Merc system, I've got one laying around and you can have it for $35.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:48 PM
Registered

YEa, thunderbolt dist, Crane HI-6M box.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Not a good weekend for MSD and me. Had 2 msd dist caps crack and one rotor came loose. One MSD ignition crap out. This is on a boat that is always in a heated garage and doesn't see big water.

This is my second box that's gone bad in 4 years.

This is in addition to the annual de-rusting I do on the distributors.

I'm looking to change to non-MSD this winter.

Last edited by rbtnt; 10-13-2002 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:11 PM
Registered

Thats all I ever hear is MSD breaking. I run Mallory magnetic breakerless. Not to be confused with the JUNK unilite. NEVER had a problem with them in the last two boats.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:45 AM
Tom
Registered

Does anyone have anything good to say about MSD? Why do so many people have MSD and even Eikert uses them in his engines? I am stuck with the MSD ignition for now, but what about the distributor? Should I replace the Holly Billet one, just replace the rotor, or buy something else?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-14-2002, 11:48 AM
Registered

had a mallary photo style distributor nothing but problems.
now i run a msd pro billet w / 6-al. runs flawlessly
Old 10-14-2002, 11:56 AM
Registered

I also run a msd pro billet distributor with a 6M box. No problems in 5 years.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:58 AM
Registered

mr velocity do you run the msd standard gm msd cap(socket style)

Quick Reply: Holly vs. MSD ignition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.