Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   28' AT, 28' Pantera, 28' Apache, 30' Superboat, 27' Kryptonite, 30' Cig, 27' Activato (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/34764-28-28-pantera-28-apache-30-superboat-27-kryptonite-30-cig-27-activato.html)

rtaylor 02-09-2004 05:53 PM

This is from about a year and a half ago. comparing my perceptions of the below brands:

Quality
|-------Apache
|---------Pantera
|--------------------Cigarette
|
|------------------------------------------Progression
|-------------Sonic-----Active Thunder-Phantom
|-------------Baja------------------------Kryptonite
|----------------------------------------Superboat
|-----------------------------------------------Activator
------------------------------------------------------------------------Speed
|

Below are my perceptions of the same brands as of today:

New Perceptual Map

Quality
|------------Apache
|--------------Pantera
|--------------------Cigarette--------Progression
|
|-------------Sonic
|---------------------Active Thunder-Kryptonite
|-------------Baja----------------------Phantom
|---------------------------------------Superboat/Activator
|
------------------------------------------------------------------------Speed
|

My perceptions have not changed a whole lot. And of course there are several other brands that could be added. I just wanted to post this with the same exact brands for consistency. You guys can copy this, then hit "post" and paste it in your box and adjust it according to how you see things. Again, this is about perceptions of strengths, not bashing. Some boats are built for speed, others for big water, etc. Perceptions are not always based on truths, but on what appears to be the truth. If our perceptions are different, great. This information, if the manufacturers look at it and if we offer a lot of insight, might prove helpful as they market their boats. It aint scientific, but it might stimulate some conversation.

ActiveThunder 02-09-2004 06:14 PM

So what would really be interesting is the customer's actual knowledge on how each boat is built would enter this equation. Leave out the gauges, the engine packages and the anodized fluff like remote TVs, leather, etc. What is the real meat and potatoes of each boat on the graph? What really makes you buy the chevy over the ford. How much is curb appeal and how much is based on the actual boat its self?

Is it:

1. hull design
2. hull construction
3. amnesties and/or user friendliness
4. cockpit depth and safety
5. cabin height/ width and roominess
6. size of the head
7. ease of access from the water
8. actual ride
9. actual performance in smooth water (speed)
10. actual performance in rough water (dry ride, comfortable or back breaking ride, etc.)
11. tracking (at any speed)
12. wind noise
13. deck access ( for docking)
14. engine access ( for the wrench-turner)
15. price
16. name brand recognition
16. any others?

Semper Fi 02-09-2004 06:25 PM

Originally posted by rtaylor
OK, Warlock 29. I have only sat in one at a boatshow and don't know much besides hearing how many races they have won. Any opionions?
I had a '98 27' Warlock and that thing was excellent in rough water. the owners of the company are a differnt story.....criminals, criminals. -----YES, I do know this first hand. be careful if you buy a new Warlock.

HebertNecessity 02-09-2004 07:24 PM

Originally posted by ActiveThunder
So what would really be interesting is the customer's actual knowledge on how each boat is built would enter this equation. Leave out the gauges, the engine packages and the anodized fluff like remote TVs, leather, etc. What is the real meat and potatoes of each boat on the graph? What really makes you buy the chevy over the ford. How much is curb appeal and how much is based on the actual boat its self?

Is it:

1. hull design
2. hull construction
3. amnesties and/or user friendliness
4. cockpit depth and safety
5. cabin height/ width and roominess
6. size of the head
7. ease of access from the water
8. actual ride
9. actual performance in smooth water (speed)
10. actual performance in rough water (dry ride, comfortable or back breaking ride, etc.)
11. tracking (at any speed)
12. wind noise
13. deck access ( for docking)
14. engine access ( for the wrench-turner)
15. price
16. name brand recognition
16. any others?

Pat, well put my perception is based only on what I've seen Active Thunder, Pantera, PowerPlay and Sonic all build a quality product. Some boats have great ride, some are wave crushers but are really power hungry.
I think it would be real interesting to see what people think about the hulls not all the gingerbread.

Here's my list!

Apache- Classic appeal, wave crusher needs twins or Blower, can't be had new.

Pantera, Sexy as hell, classic looks, built to take it, rigging is top shelf, custom, value, smaller cabin.

ActiveThunder, Superior Hi-Tech Vacbag composite construction, biggest 28, large cockpit, large useable cabin, light weight for size, very well balanced in form and function, value but need Merc Racing.

Superboat, Value, the longest and narrowest(should ride good in the rough), good construction, lite can run with mercruiser, little head room narrow cabin, room for 5 no more.

Sonic, Neat construction(jury's still out). The single engine is too small(compaired with the othe boats), the 31 is nice(see apache).

I will not comment on the rest because I don't know, As for what I know comes from talking with the companies so they may be bias. Find a boat that fits your needs the best, make a trip to Miami for the show, visit Active Thunder and Pantera they are worth the trip.

TO THE WOOD 02-09-2004 07:42 PM

WARLOCK STILL NOT ON THE CHART? IS IT THAT FAST IT DOESN'T FIT ON THE PAGE . IF YOUR TALKING QUALITY AND YOU DON'T HAVE POWER PLAY AT THE TOP OF YOUR LIST YOUR MISSING SOMETHING.

HebertNecessity 02-10-2004 06:50 AM

Originally posted by TO THE WOOD
WARLOCK STILL NOT ON THE CHART? IS IT THAT FAST IT DOESN'T FIT ON THE PAGE . IF YOUR TALKING QUALITY AND YOU DON'T HAVE POWER PLAY AT THE TOP OF YOUR LIST YOUR MISSING SOMETHING.
Not my chart, PowerPlay is as good as anybody, The straightest hull I've seen, not a wave or ripple anywhere, top quality construction, rigging is unbelieveable, cabin is small, cockpit is small, great boat if you find a used one would hesitate to put money down when the company is having difficulties.

rtaylor 02-10-2004 08:12 AM

Would somebody besides me make a chart? Take a risk.

SS930 02-10-2004 08:15 AM

Originally posted by HebertNecessity
Not my chart, PowerPlay is as good as anybody, The straightest hull I've seen, not a wave or ripple anywhere, top quality construction, rigging is unbelieveable, cabin is small, cockpit is small, great boat if you find a used one would hesitate to put money down when the company is having difficulties.
I'd put PowerPlay above Apache (28) in quality and speed. Top notch boats from what I've seen. Would I buy a new one (if I were in that market), yes assuming the proper safegaurds were in place.

Indy 02-10-2004 08:45 AM

Originally posted by SS930
I'd put PowerPlay above Apache (28) in quality and speed. Top notch boats from what I've seen. Would I buy a new one (if I were in that market), yes assuming the proper safegaurds were in place.
I'd do the same, PowerPlay would be among the top contenders, but I'd have to feel comfortable signing over a check to that company first. I'm curious as to their status these days.

HebertNecessity 02-10-2004 09:00 AM

Originally posted by rtaylor
Would somebody besides me make a chart? Take a risk.
I kinda laid it out there. If I were buying new and cost was no object,
1.Active Thunder 525efi
2.Pantera 525efi or twin 6.2
3.Superboat 496HO

If cost is a major concideration

1.Superboat 496HO
2.Pantera 525efi or twin 350mags
3.ActiveThunder 525efi

Don't kill me, just my opinion.:cool: The Active Thunder and Pantera are bigger(beam) boats and if your buying a performance boat and want to put 4 people gear fuel and do poker runs the Pantera and Active Thunder with deep straight Vs do better with more power. The superboat is longer narrower lighter twinstep is more efficent and does fine with496HO, the downside it not as nice as the ActiveThunder. So if you can afford it get the Thunder or Pantera, if you only have 50-60k and want new go for the Superboat