Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   28' AT, 28' Pantera, 28' Apache, 30' Superboat, 27' Kryptonite, 30' Cig, 27' Activato (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/34764-28-28-pantera-28-apache-30-superboat-27-kryptonite-30-cig-27-activato.html)

RLW 02-12-2004 04:26 PM

Okay Corrado,
Rough Water Handling, Handling in Rough Water, and, did I mention Rough Water Handling?
How about no cup holders.
Let's face it, a boat is what you want it to be to your liking. If you want spaciousness, a boat with a seven foot beam will probably not be a boat for you. Of course, you could always buy a 28' Saber. A little bit bigger and built tough.
I say, get what you want. There are alot of good choices to be had.
Just remember, when you see that little rocket from Long Island, coming up fast on your transom, don't fight it. You can't. There is nothing you can do about it. Just let it go and remember, It could have been you, had you not got sucked into the big void of Wannabe Offshore Boats!
:D :D

Dave M 02-12-2004 04:36 PM

Originally posted by RLW
Apparently, you guys have not seen the APBA Cape Cod race from June 2002 (except you BJ for obvious reasons).
The yellow and green Activator of none other than, BJM, smoked, stomped, and dominated the whole fleet of boats in that race. Superboats, Kryptonites, Sutphens and whatever else tried to manage to navigate the North Atlantic were not even close.
Now, let's fastforward to Orange Beach 2003. A very rough water race indeed. It was, once again my friends, an ACTIVATOR that was so far out in front of the rest of the pack, they might as well left the rest of the boats at the dock.
I rest my case.:cool:

After watching those races mentioned I would have to agree. That Activator kicks some A$$!

RLW 02-12-2004 06:41 PM

Corrado,
FYI, I measured my boat at the transom, at the outside edges of the rubrail. It measured out to be a whopping 6 feet 5 inches. It has a 7 foot beam about midship of the hull.
As to your question in regards to power and speed, I am in the process of having a 540 put together for this summer. It is being built with reliability as the major factor. I should be able to hit 80 mph. I am looking for that 50 mph cruise at 3300-3500 rpm.
Russ

B-Stubb 02-12-2004 07:11 PM

Ive researched in a lot !st Active thunder 2 nd pantera witch I own MY 2C

SS930 02-12-2004 07:43 PM

Sorry guys, I didn't see those races. Only going by my own experiences. Reread my post, I said both the Activator and the Superboat were fast. Sounds like you guys know far more than I when it comes to racing the boats listed. I'll trust your word.

I'm very seriously considering picking up a Bat this summer. I know they have limited appeal for obvious reasons, but I have to admit that I'm intrigued by them. I've never seen one in person, but I hear they cant be beat in rough water. Guys on this board claim it takes a 35'+ boat to beat them. Do you guys know if this is true? The big down side is $120K for a 28' boat is way harsh in my book. ???

denbo 02-12-2004 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Corrado,
I own a 27 Activator, the last of the non-stepped hulls, powered by MRD 522/525+ hp and runs a solid 80 mph.
I'd say more but it's already been said by BJM and RLW.
Denny

rtaylor 02-12-2004 10:22 PM

How about the 32' Activator? I'v eonly seen big single power in that boat. How about a reliable 496 HO or twin 6.2's? ANybosy have experience with this boat?

ActiveFun 02-13-2004 10:21 AM

RLW,
You should be able to get over 80 with the 540.

rtaylor 02-13-2004 10:37 AM

Come on, someone must have some experience with the 32' Activator.

Chris288 02-13-2004 10:52 AM

Originally posted by SS930
The big down side is $120K for a 28' boat is way harsh in my book. ???

and a whopping 4. something foot beam... :D :D