Notices

Cape Cod launch ramps

Old 06-27-2017, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cape Cod launch ramps

Good Evening all, Looking to drag the Tiger down to my old stomping grounds around Hyannis after 4th of July. I would like some feedback relative to a good ramp in the area with sufficient parking to stow the crew cab and trailer which are 65' plus long. I don't mind launching in the Falmouth or Bourne area, or any other deep ramp that can handle the 42. I am familiar with the ramps in Hyannis, Yarmouth and Bass River, just don't want the stress and traffic. So far, Falmouth Inner harbor looks promising. Also, anyone dealt with the locals relative to noise levels? I heard that you can not dock at Oak Bluffs if you have thru hulls, I know this is true at Nantucket for many years now, can anyone verify if the Vineyard has also gone elitist? Thanks
Old 06-28-2017, 04:28 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

Onset has a nice launch ramp and big parking lot.Its right off rt28 and before the bridge.pretty short idle out to the canal.
We still get in to the vineyard,just come in on 1 engine and you'll be fine.also,stay to the right as you come in,farther your away from the harbormaster shack,the better.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:07 AM
Registered

Thanks for that Sutphen 30, I did not think of Onset. Do you have any problems getting dock space at Oak Bluffs? I remember free public docking in the late 80's, I bet that has changed!
Old 06-28-2017, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Parking is usually more of a issue than the ramp, last weekend at sesuit harbor in Dennis, I had to break the truck off the trailer. Ramp is fine though. Saquatucket in Harwich usually has parking and a good ramp. As far as the vineyard, be respectful and do like sut 30 suggested! Don't be stupid and rev , or you will be kicked out !!!
Old 06-28-2017, 07:25 PM
Registered

Hey Shaun, I am offended that you would call me disrespectful and stupid just for a little rev! Naw just kidding! The problem with my Tiger is 653" 1471 supercharged Zul's through Stellings headers. Even with 12" EGB inserts, it will never make it to 88 decibels, the MA standard. I am gonna try launching around Wareham or Falmouth, and then run over to Lewis Bay and the Vineyard. I don't want to get into the traffic and BS with a mid Cape launch. We will see how much aggravation I get. Nothing better than towing for a couple of hours only to be towing North after a few fines and 20 minutes running time!
Old 06-28-2017, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not go to Oak Bluffs with that boat. Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the nice letter I got from the harbormaster who never heard my boat but left me the letter because its a go fast. Call it boat profiling if you will but if you fit profile you will be tested and it actually said you can't run motors until repairs are made to hit db level. What the hell does that mean?? I investigated further and this is only for OB, you can still hit Vineyard Haven or Edgartown. I was there 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by IndyRacer; 06-28-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

I have never had a problem going into Oaks Bluff. We go over probably 6-8 per season. I always come off plain long before getting near the harbor inlet, to not draw attention. My 1100 Quad Cams were actually much quieter at idle then my 525's in the Formula. Head over early to secure a mooring, and shut it down as soon as possible, and you'll be fine. Doesn't hurt to give the launch Capt. a good tip on the way in too.
Off course I'm in stealth mode now with the Verado's . If you end up using the ramp in Onset/Bourne, which is called Bourne Marina/Taylor's Point, and need an extra set of hands, I live right across in Butler Cove. Let me know when you're heading down. Happy to help
Jeff
Old 06-29-2017, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't believe those guys with their stories. You will NOT get into Oak Bluffs. I have been thrown out of there more times than I care to remember. In fact one time I was already tied up and boarding the launch when the harbormaster threw me out. I said to the guy "what difference does it make now? I'm heading in for lunch, spending money, than leaving. Either way the boat has to get started one more time". Still tossed me. The only time I was not thrown out was when several of us came in together and they really didn't know which boat or boat's were the offender. They came over and did give us a ration of crap about noise, blah, blah. Seemed to be directing their comments at Boxer and me. Shaun was there! Now Sutphen 30 has a point about swinging way around to the right immediately upon entering. The problem is unless you are lucky enough to pick up an end mooring you are just going to be headed back towards the harbormaster in your search to dock. It's a bunch of crap. The Hyline Ferry comes right in there and docks next to the harbormaster's shack. Those diesel's are every bit as loud as us. And when they blow their horn 20 freakin' times it's louder than us. Anyway, have fun.

Last edited by benjen; 06-29-2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah good luck in OB. There not nice one bit about loud boats coming in even if there isn't anyone there . Go to edgartown in my opinion a much nicer area anyways
Old 06-29-2017, 05:28 PM
Registered

Smile Oak Bluffs

Thanks to all for your input. I wanted to do O B for nostalgia's sake, haven't been there in 30 years. We ran over from Hyannis in our 26' Nova II every Sunday in the summer and the kids used to hit the merry go round and the Arcade. It seems like it is going to be a problem, some of you guy's don't realize how loud dry exhaust mega motors are. It won't be hard for the harbormaster to pick us out of a line up! I think I will hit E. town and Vineyard Haven instead, and avoid some stress. It would be interesting to get a convoy of about 20 bad boys and cruise through O B, and see if there are enough summer storm troopers to deal with that! Strength in numbers so to speak!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.