Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
where do the little springs go: above, or under engine bellhousing? >

where do the little springs go: above, or under engine bellhousing?

Notices

where do the little springs go: above, or under engine bellhousing?

Old 07-05-2017, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts
Default where do the little springs go: above, or under engine bellhousing?

you know those used on the 2 big bolts behing the engine, going thru the engine bell housing into the inner transom plate support holes?
i think i remember they were going in between the bell housing and the transom plate, right? otherwise, if they are going above the bell housing their purpose would only be kinda lock washer. but in reality they are more like a little vibration / shock absorber device, right again?
asking because I'm having a hard time to find the right spot in engine aligment... ))

thanks!
Old 07-05-2017, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

They go on the transom plate within the fabric washer.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Some people duct tape them down to hold them in place and then drill a hole in the tape, but I've never had a problem getting the spring and fiber washer lined up
Old 07-05-2017, 08:40 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

per serial number breaks the transom assembly does not and has not used them for the past 13 / 14 years. If they are used for the more current offerings the engine coupler will wear out very fast
Old 07-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
per serial number breaks the transom assembly does not and has not used them for the past 13 / 14 years. If they are used for the more current offerings the engine coupler will wear out very fast
did a quick look and you are right but I doubt putting the wave spring in will waste a coupler...that spring sits pretty even with the fabric washer. With or without it. I don't see it being a big deal. Just my opinion.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Im ok it is a 17 years old boat! So springs were part of the puzzle back in the day i guess!!

thanks guys!
Old 07-05-2017, 11:10 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
did a quick look and you are right but I doubt putting the wave spring in will waste a coupler...that spring sits pretty even with the fabric washer. With or without it. I don't see it being a big deal. Just my opinion.
Not to start anything but I am the person that gets the stuff from whomever did the job wrong because I know how a lot of this oem stuff goes back together for proper procedures and proper parts thru many of the marine OEM's. .

The alignment will be off as the springs DO NOT go in the transom assembly for the past 13 / 14 years as the parts have changed completely. Within so many boating hours installing the wrong procedure using the wrong parts the coupler will wear out Anyone want to try and bet me on it. Seen about 50 of them within 6 months to 2 years. So I am providing the correct info to help the ones whom do not know this. Really not posting to argue but to help.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:12 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by jeff32
Im ok it is a 17 years old boat! So springs were part of the puzzle back in the day i guess!!

thanks guys!
Boat / hull year means nothing -- transom assembly could have been replace 12 years ago or just before you bought the boats BUT UNLESS you are the only owner and know the total history of your boat. It goes by serial number for the parts not hull model year.

Last edited by BUP; 07-05-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Can i check this info on line? And where?
OL841363 is one of my transom serial number
Old 07-06-2017, 06:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Not to start anything but I am the person that gets the stuff from whomever did the job wrong because I know how a lot of this oem stuff goes back together for proper procedures and proper parts thru many of the marine OEM's. .

The alignment will be off as the springs DO NOT go in the transom assembly for the past 13 / 14 years as the parts have changed completely. Within so many boating hours installing the wrong procedure using the wrong parts the coupler will wear out Anyone want to try and bet me on it. Seen about 50 of them within 6 months to 2 years. So I am providing the correct info to help the ones whom do not know this. Really not posting to argue but to help.
BUP I did a quick look up. The inner transom plate part number has never changed across all bravo one and bravo xr applications. Part number 8M0114816. If the casting never changed why all of a sudden don't they want the wave/lock washer on the plate where the fabric washer goes? That's what would throw alignment off. Not a messily lock washer that like I said sits about flush with the fabric washer anyways. My guess is it's a money saving tactic on the newer models to save a buck. If you think a tiny lock/wave spring that offers hardly any pre load against the engine will ruin a coupler. We have bigger issues. Again just my opinion.

The ruined couplers you saw prob had nothing to do with a washer but more so because of improper alignment, bad transom or something else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.