Yamaha Raptors?

Old 04-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by THRILLSEEKER
I was looking foreward to approaching 90mph on a quad
Sounds like you are related to the Osbournes

I thought that celebreties are the only ones that can over exagerate the true speeds of power

Oh wait, we are on a boating site All boat speeds are over exagerated

I think even 70 is a hard number to come by with alot of $$$ and power options.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the banshee is a better handling machine because with the 2 stroke power you can get the tires spinning and "slide" a turn. It is also a better balanced bike. Where with the raptor it's very hard to take a turn because the tires grip when giving it throttle, causing it to want to flip. If you extend the rear axle and put extended a-arms on the raptor ($2000) it will slide a turn. The stock form of the raptor is too narrow and top heavy. i had a tough time getting it to donut....it kept wanting to flip on me.

they are both close in top end. the stock raptor will have about 2mph on the stock banshee. both run low 70's. put pipes on the banshee and you will run upper 70's.

the new yzf450 is in the same low 70's speed catagory, and will handle better than both the banshee and raptor.

my banshee will run low 90's (when it's not blown up ) my next machine will be the 450.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Any of you guys want a Raptor? I loaned a friend money to buy one two years ago and now he has no money, a wife, and a new kid. I'm taking the Raptor back and selling it. It's not hurt.

As far as what handles?
A 250R Honda handles. A YZF450 Yamaha and TRXwhatever 450 Honda, both based on the YZ-F and CRF motors, they handle. A 400EX Handles pretty good.

Raptors and Banshees don't handle. Not in stock form.

A Banshee will slide around like a flattracker pretty well. A Raptor will handle okay in the air and has better suspension hardware than the Banshee, but they are both PLAY BIKES. Banshee comes closer to the mark on making the guys happy who buy it.

The new crop of racing 4 wheelers from Yamaha and Honda DO handle.

But I think 4 wheelers have two too many wheels. 3 wheelers were kind of fun but I haven't ever cared very much for 4 wheelers.

Besides, anything with handlebars is supposed to fall over when it is stopped.

Hence, the sale of the Raptor.
Anybody interested? I have discount hookups on all aftermarket parts if you want it decked out.

m
Old 04-12-2004, 02:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How fast does the KXF 700 really go? I read in a mag and the dealer told me 95 mph
Old 04-12-2004, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kfx 700 is also 70-74. Its fully automatic and heavy as hell. If you really want a sport quad look no further than the yfz450. The kfx400 is a really good quad also, however anything the 400 can do the yfz450 will do better and faster. The kfx400 does have reverse however and if you need that you should get the 400.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:03 AM
Registered

Don't leave out the Predator 500. I GPSed mine the other day at 75.4 mph. I have a pure polaris slip on pipe and k&n filter. This thing handles great with lots of torque. Only thing I don't like about it is when it gets hot the tranny gets kind of notchy when shifting gears.

It will leave a Raptor and a Z 400 in its dust.
Attached Thumbnails Yamaha Raptors?-03_predator_glow.jpg  
Old 04-12-2004, 07:05 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with all the others, that the Raptor is a poor handling quad.

My next quad will be either a YFZ450 of the 450R from Honda. Both well engineered machines.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:43 AM
Registered

I raced MX quads for years and I agree with the Banshee flat-tracking around corners, get the sucker spinning and its a blast,,, try that on the Craptor and you will flip, going through corners the raptor is kinda herky jerky because of the torque.. Also because of all that torque, from a dead stop my highly modified banshee will crap all over a craptor, from a rolling start its very even until about 4th then the banshee slightly pulls in 5th and 6th. For a stock machine the craptors are pretty good, BUT if I had my choice I would go with a YFZ-450 or the Honda TRX-450R... race ready outta the box....

P.S. If your thinking used, early craptors have tranny problems,, I think 2001-2002, they will lock up and blow 2nd gear...

Last edited by Chris232; 04-12-2004 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

NewsFlash

2004 Yamaha Grizzly
Red
660 Auto 4X4
130 ACTUAL MILES
Polished wheels and ITP 589 tires (27" tall) - same as MNFASTBOAT - a $500+ upgrade.
Clutch kit and carb jet kit.

ABSOLUTELY IMMACULATE.
see thread in OFFTOPIC.

Need to move FAST.
No reasonable offer refused.

Never crashed.
Not stolen.
Not abused.

Owner wants to swap for crotch rocket. We're too far apart to trade, but if he can sell direct to somebody we can all do well.

I know what he expects to get for this ATV and it is a bargain. I just can't afford to floorplan it and wait for it to sell - around here it is the season for YFZ's and mx atv's. Big 4x4s get hot again in the fall around here.

If it matters, the owner is a boat freak. Has owned supercharged race-layup Fountain boats, and his father is racing an APBA super cat lite this season.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much$$$
might know of a couple people looking here in MN
where is he located?

Quick Reply: Yamaha Raptors?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.