If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

New member - trailer ??s

Hello all. I am a new member, although I have browsed here before. I have met some of you on the COPS run to Racine earlier this year. My question is regarding a trailer for a boat I have made an offer on. The boat is a 2001 Donzi 38zx. I need to buy a trailer and was looking for advice. I have seen aluminum trailers for $7500 new and steel trailers for $15,000. I'm in the Chicago area and doubt I will ever be in salt water. Sorry for the long message and thanks for the help. Steve

Charter Member Charter Member Dean Ferry's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2006 Hustler 388, 2004 Hustler Talon 25, 1999 30 Spectre cat and 2007 21' hydrostream voyager w/ Merc. 225 EFI
    Merritt Is. Fl. USA
    Welcome to OSO, you'll find this a very interesting and "Entertaining" BB!
    Congrats on your new boat, I think the 38 ZX offers alot of "Bang for the buck" and looks/runs good doing it.
    Don't try to skimp on your trailer, it is very important that is designed for you hull, as your hull step bottom will conform to the trailer bunks. If it's not built/designed for a 38ZX, you could end up with a deformed hull bottom.
    Have you talked with the folks @ Donzi about a trailer? I think they use mainly MYCO, which is the best trailer going, IMHO.
    As to whether it should be aluminum or steel, I would go with Steel, as it is more rigid and will support your BIG boat alot better.
    Good luck,

Thanks Dean, I have spoken with Donzi and MYCO is what they use.

raynman, I checked out the link their prices are very low. Any experience with a big boat (Donzi is 11,500 lbs dry) on thier trailers?

Thanks for the info.

No experience with the trailers but am considering one. Give them a call, they will call back. You will have to add in brakes,
    torsion axles, freight, etc. But the prices still seem reasonable.

My Boats:
    2004 28 Skater / 300x's
    San Diego
    We just got an aluminum MYCO for our Top Gun. It will be going in the water for the first time tommorow, but it tows and looks great. We had a Pacific before that was a piece of s@#t!!