Yet another night time fatality.

Notices

Yet another night time fatality.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:47 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Yet another night time fatality.

Almost identical accident to the one three years ago on the same lake Father killed, 1 critical in boat crash on Lake Conroe | khou.com

A fishing boat hurrying to make an after dark weigh in slams into a stationary fishing boat killing one and injuring two others.

Why would any tournament operator have a weigh-in around/after dark?????

Given the speeds that some bass boats are capable of, it just seems like a really stupid idea.

Previous accident http://abc13.com/news/three-killed-i...conroe/150930/

Last edited by Wobble; 07-13-2017 at 07:53 PM. Reason: 3 years ago not two
Old 07-14-2017, 12:40 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Sad

they do the same at LOTO. We were putting our boat in the water at PB2 one evening about 10 pm and about 100 bass boats came rolling in.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

LOTO and TR, for sure have 35mph speed limit at dusk..........maybe not in TX.....very sad for sure
Old 07-14-2017, 08:11 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
LOTO and TR, for sure have 35mph speed limit at dusk..........maybe not in TX.....very sad for sure
There is a minimum planing speed rule that came into effect after the last accident that applies to this lake.

"(3) operate any Vessel on the Reservoir at a speed in excess of minimum planing speed (the minimum speed at which a Vessel will achieve and maintain a level plane) during the period from one half-hour after sunset to one half-hour before sunrise."

sunset was about 8.20, accident around 9.30 apparently

Last edited by Wobble; 07-14-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:20 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble

Why would any tournament operator have a weigh-in around/after dark?????

WOW, man that sucks!!!!

Many years ago I fished tournaments with my father and when I first heard there are night time fishing tournaments I thought the same thing.......then I realized there are a large number of people who work odd shifts and their lives revolve around sleeping during the day, awake at night. (over 30% of my employees work 2nd or 3rd shift)
Old 07-14-2017, 12:20 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
30 mph speed limit that goes into effect 30 mins after official sunset and last until 30 minutes before official sunrise.

The charged violation is the same same whether you are going 35mph or 70mph
Old 07-15-2017, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

I thought Missouri law was 35, but it's been 2 years since I looked. I go slower.

I was leaving backwater jacks july 3 and water patrol hit us with a spotlight and turned his lights on. He nailed a boat that came up on us fast and I didn't even see him. I thought he was after us, but I wasn't on plane yet and apparently this guys came up fast to stern and must have gotten in my wake. When water patrol hit him I could have spit from my boat to his. I assume they got him for speed or being too close to me
Old 07-16-2017, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I've never been a fan of these bass tournaments anyway. They have them on my local lake. They pull all the bass out of there that they can and put them in small live wells, parade them around, weigh them, show them off, hold them for photos and then release them and expect them to live.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:38 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I've never been a fan of these bass tournaments anyway. They have them on my local lake. They pull all the bass out of there that they can and put them in small live wells, parade them around, weigh them, show them off, hold them for photos and then release them and expect them to live.
Have you fished these tournaments cause it doesn't sound like it. When I was a kid you could weigh-in 16 fish per boat but now most tournaments are limited to 5 fish. Do you also realize there is a significant penalty if a fish dies or doesn't swim away "normally". Not only would you be surprised at the percentage of bass that live.....alot of clubs collect money for the state to buy "fry" (baby bass) to be released in local/public waterways. My father donates $1,000 per year and his donation alone buys many thousands of them. The state says they have the resources to distribute the fish but no longer can get funding to buy them. (His club usually buys 500,000 fish per year for the state). The typical tournament fisherman WANTS the fish to survive to reproduce and be caught again while the average guy with a boat is taking them home for the frying pan.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
Have you fished these tournaments cause it doesn't sound like it. When I was a kid you could weigh-in 16 fish per boat but now most tournaments are limited to 5 fish. Do you also realize there is a significant penalty if a fish dies or doesn't swim away "normally". Not only would you be surprised at the percentage of bass that live.....alot of clubs collect money for the state to buy "fry" (baby bass) to be released in local/public waterways. My father donates $1,000 per year and his donation alone buys many thousands of them. The state says they have the resources to distribute the fish but no longer can get funding to buy them. (His club usually buys 500,000 fish per year for the state). The typical tournament fisherman WANTS the fish to survive to reproduce and be caught again while the average guy with a boat is taking them home for the frying pan.
No, I've never done it. I'm not that good of a fisher! I do know that it would be hard to pull 5 legal size large-mouth from "my" lake. Maybe the fish do live but it seems like they are put through a lot before they are released. Anyway, sorry to hear about another fatal accident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.