Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat stored on its side, where does the oil go to? >

Boat stored on its side, where does the oil go to?

Notices

Boat stored on its side, where does the oil go to?

Old 07-15-2017, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

RR
What does it cost to get something like that shipped all that way?sorry not trying to get into your business ,but wondering because around here to get a boat shipped 1k miles costs a lot
Old 07-15-2017, 07:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
What angle was the boat at? picture?
She was on her side. 90 degrees, see pic a few posts up. I was very worried but after doing some searching, it's not uncommon now. Jeff (38banana) on here posted his boat going to Phuket the same way. Boat was 38' long but on a cradle and no engines or interior so it was actually a bit lighter but damn big!

RR
Old 07-15-2017, 07:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by boatnt
RR
What does it cost to get something like that shipped all that way?sorry not trying to get into your business ,but wondering because around here to get a boat shipped 1k miles costs a lot
Shipping cost me 2,500 (incl the packaging) from Savannah Georgia to Laem Chabang (the main port) in Thailand. Another 750 for insurance. If it didn't fit in a container, it would have been closer to 10k. I was surprised how cheap the container was. My last boats, a Sea Ray 410 and a Fountain 34, cost about 35k and 23k respectively.

RR
Old 07-15-2017, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have rebuilt a few roll over cars. Make sure you pull all the plugs out and the same time and crank by hand. Then once free crank by the starter for a little while. Oil will shoot out everywhere so cover things up. Put plugs back in and fire up. It will smoke for 30 plus minutes and fill a parking lot with smoke so make sure you don't start it in the garage. Jeff wurl
Old 07-16-2017, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you crank the motor with the starter to pump the water out of the Pistons. Water ain't that messy. You start blowing oil out of there cranking it with the starter it's going to be everywhere. That's why I said crank it over once my hand first. and you had oil coming out the exhaust. that oil had to go past the rings then out the exhaust valves to get to the exhaust outlets. that motor sat on it's side for while. all 4 low-side pistons have oil on top of them. Porta potty? shoulda thrown it out and bought a new one. that really would have stank if it spilled...

Last edited by dereknkathy; 07-16-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
you crank the motor with the starter to pump the water out of the Pistons. Water ain't that messy. You start blowing oil out of there cranking it with the starter it's going to be everywhere. That's why I said crank it over once my hand first. and you had oil coming out the exhaust. that oil had to go past the rings then out the exhaust valves to get to the exhaust outlets. that motor sat on it's side for while. all 4 low-side pistons have oil on top of them. Porta potty? shoulda thrown it out and bought a new one. that really would have stank if it spilled...
Yep, all makes sense. I'm off to see the Merc dealer tomorrow morning, I saw where the spark plugs were and figured it's 100+ degrees outside at the moment, I'll let them deal with it but I'll tell them HOW to deal with it!

As for the porta potti, you're dead right, I told the dealer if they even suspect it's had someone's azz on it then take it out and bin it. Checked yesterday, it's in there and it's brand new.

Thank you sir for your input, sounds spot on!

RR
Old 07-23-2017, 06:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I owe all of you a beer!
The guys came this morning and serviced the engine and drive, changed oils, topped up trim, pwr steering and tab oils, a few filters, set of plugs and a serpentine belt. Also confirmed engine hours @ 141.

They followed all your advice except they didn't crank her by hand, just touched it across the starter momentarily and it all worked out. They had all the plugs out in about 5 minutes, took me longer than that just to find them!

Started on the hose and fired up straight away, only smoked for a couple of minutes. It turns out the shipper DID drain the oil but I believe there's a bit of a process to fully drain a 496 so there was still a bit left in there. No way of telling how much but I don't care now......

She ran beautifully, bit choppy out, and had a mate with me who bought his 2 y.o. boy along so I didn't push it. Hit 4,500 rpms and nudging 60 but the kid was looking a bit pale so I backed off! Great fun boat.

RR
Attached Thumbnails Boat stored on its side, where does the oil go to?-img_7219.png  
Old 07-23-2017, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I love it when a plan comes together !!!
Attached Thumbnails Boat stored on its side, where does the oil go to?-gpd.jpg