Chain o lakes area alternatives >

Chain o lakes area alternatives

Notices

Chain o lakes area alternatives

Old 07-24-2017, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chain o lakes area alternatives

Well the chain o lakes in IL. will be closed for some time I'm sure. Record water levels and debris everywhere, there was a dock with 6 boats attached to it floating down the river today.

Where to go?

Lake Geneva is closest but speed limits and a general attitude towards chain boaters I heard sucks.

I have been on Michigan from North point to racine a few times and enjoyed it. The wife is a little nervous ever since we got stuck in solid 5 footers when a few hours before it was foot maybe.

I was thinking of Milwaukee dropping it in and having the rivers to bum around in if it gets too rough on the lake.
How are the rivers around Milwaukee?
I assume they are no wake?
Any recommendations for good places to go to by water?

Any other ideas for northern IL. Or southern Wisconsin?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

big flood
Attached Thumbnails Chain o lakes area alternatives-004.png  
Old 07-24-2017, 07:07 PM
DRP
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
big flood
Thats an old pic...we burned that bar a few years ago! New bar is higher and dry.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Hit up Racine, nice Marina. Lots of stuff to do, plenty of restaurants, a cove if the lake kicks up, nice launch really close. Small town walking distance..pool, 2 hot tubs , clean .. I like it a lot. Plus you can hit Kenosha which is only 9 miles and that is a nice small town to check out also .
Never really ventured down the Milwaukee river much but I hear lots of people have a good time there. Last weekend we were going to explore more and turned around, the smell from whatever $hit plant is around there was pretty bad . Not sure if it travels down the river but wasn`t in the mood to find out .
Old 07-25-2017, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably the Pabst brewery you smelled...
Old 07-25-2017, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Kenosha is a great town. You can dock at The Boat House, go in have a drink on their deck, walk across the street to Villa DeCarlo and have some of the best pizza around. You can also visit the Kenosha Yacht Club. They have a new management team, new chef, food is pretty good, good service, easy to get in and out. Beach is right around the corner.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never boated on that side of lake Michigan - but I have walked thru Racine harbor more times than you can shake a stick at -- IT IS BEAUTIFUL. good launching ramp - lots of parking and the marinas that are there seem to have everything neat and orderly. Also a number of restaurants in the area. I don't know if you can trailer your boat - but we have had some great time on the East Side of the lake in New Buffalo, Michigan City, St. Joe, Holland and South Haven. We don't have a boat that we can just go to the big lake - so I feel your pain - but when the stars align it doesn't get any better.

3pointstar
Old 07-25-2017, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We trailer everywhere. Actually just came back from camping in South Haven last weekend. Absolutely beautiful out there.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by COOPS
We trailer everywhere. Actually just came back from camping in South Haven last weekend. Absolutely beautiful out there.
COOPS-- just wanted you to know that the Michigan City Boat Races will be August 3-6, 2017. Since you have a legit boat for the big lake - the best seats in the house are on the course - check out the website 2017 Michigan City Schedule | Super Boat International it gives you the full schedule. We have been there a couple of times to see the boats that more wrapped up in their tow vehicles than I have in my retirement savings! It really is something to watch.

We did South Haven last year with the intention of going up to Saugatuck - almost got there but the passengers didn't like the larger chop - turned out it wasn't that bad- and we were only about a mile south. I didn't have much seat time in larger waves - but this year it has changed a bit. We were out in good 2-3' on lake Macatawa earlier this spring and finally figured out how to run in them - really my son figured it out but I'll take the credit. Last time out on the lake - it was glass - maybe a 3" chop at best. I've never driven that distance WOT -- for sure warming the globe 8 cylinders at a time!

take care and be safe!

3pointstar
Old 07-25-2017, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never been there. How about the Madison Chain of Lakes?

Last edited by Captain Nick; 07-25-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.