Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: thieving trash (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/34880-ot-thieving-trash.html)

mcollinstn 10-14-2002 11:38 PM

OT: thieving trash

While I was eating dinner with my family and friends at a restaurant in front of the mall, some punk trash bashed out my side window and took my laptop case from the rear floorboard of my car.

There was no computer in the case, but I have been using it as my "everything important" case. It contained seven checkbooks full of checks, a safety-deposit box key, two credit cards (one of which is tied to my home equity line of credit), an envelope containing $2,000 in cash ($100 bills), two undeposited checks made out to me along with deposit slipsready to be dropped at the bank, a BestBuy $75 rebate check from my DirecTV package I bought a couple of months ago from them, a leather binder containing notes from the last few meetings I have been in, a Windows XP upgrade disk, a power supply for the laptop, a wireless netcard for the laptop, some other cables for it, several files with customer contacts and business cards, my business cards, two months worth of paid bill stubs (phone, utilities, etc) giving all info necessary to figure out where I live, a key to one of pieces of rental property with the address on a tag, my wife's American Express card that she recently gave up since she was getting out of hand and wanted me to keep it away from her, and a package of those plastic trim caps that snap into the heads of phillips head screws that I ordered to replace the ones on my Sea Ray.

Of all this stuff, obviously the cash will be appreciated by the scum trash sh%tbags that broke my window, but the rest will do them no good. I spent 2 hours going to the office and calling banks and credit card companies stopping payment on checks and cancelling cards so that stuff will do them no good. The stuff they took, however, will take me horrible amounts of anguish to replace.

Glass is absolutely all over the inside of the car. In, under, on, around everything. It's going to rain the next few days so I can't even get it to the glass shop (its in the garage now).

Had to call friends to take my family home since the kids couldn't sit on glass...

The cops took info over the phone and gave me a case number for the insurance company.

All of this was in clear view and I can't believe that somebody didn't see it happen!

The next few days are shot as I will be trying to recreate the paperwork they took before my memory loses what little bit it still holds...

I just HATE a dam& thief.

--- sorry - had to vent.

CigDaze 10-15-2002 08:13 AM

Sorry to hear of your misfortune...Nothing hurts like being on the receiving end of some cowardly, lowly, piece of chit scumbag act like that....All so they can benefit from your hard work.

I had something similar happen once, though it was just a school bag with some cash and a couple of cards with some personal records....The time it takes to remember what was in there and to make all the right calls in time sucks! :( :(

MnFastBoat 10-15-2002 08:23 AM

Now that is what i call a very bad day :(

Almost makes yo wish the computer was the only thing in there :(

Best of wishes on the recovery of what you can

Audiofn 10-15-2002 09:04 AM

Man that just really sucks!!! I always tell people that if some one steals the computer I could care less. It is all the programs on it that cost so freeeking much, and will do them NO GOOD AT ALL!!!!! As far as your apartment that they have the key to I would get the lock changed just in case. Ussually these car theft junkies do not go to the houses of the cars that they break into. That is a house break in and it is a whole different layer of crime. It would be nice if they tossed the bad out and some one finds it and calls you. Good luck with it. IT SUCKS!!!

Jon

bajabob38 10-15-2002 10:45 AM

You might want to check to see if the mall has any cameras directed towards the parking lot, maybe these scum bags will be on the tape. Good luck.

Tinkerer 10-15-2002 08:56 PM

I caught a pair of low lifes breaking into my car ( silent alarm) BOY I LIKE BIG PISTOLS. You should have seen the look on their faces when they saw the gun.

Sunsation 32 10-15-2002 09:15 PM

Dont you wish you could catch the guy and break both his arms so he would have to pay someone to wipe his ass.

mcollinstn 10-15-2002 09:32 PM

I've got bank accounts changed around, cards canceled and reissued, and all that crap. They are gonna change the lock on my safety deposit box and issue new keys to my wife and I. I called my renters at the rental house and told them I was going to change their locks cause I got my key stolen - they were kinda creeped out and Joe, the renter, said he would go to Lowe's right away and change the locks himself and get me a key. That will save me some hassle, so I told him to go ahead and I'd credit his rent.

The insurance company says they will only acknowledge $200 of the cash that was lost (the policy does state this limit).

I've gotta itemize and get "values" on the stuff in the case so they can then figure out how to get out of paying anything for it.

My wife called the restaurant today and they were very concerned about it. They do NOT have cameras aiming where my car was but will review the tapes to see if they can catch somebody speeding away. The restaurant was pissed because they are apparently paying a security service to keep an eye on the parking lot...

I'm a big proponent of the "caning" they do in Taiwan or wherever it is... If your sorry a$$ commits a crime, they whale on you with big bamboo sticks until you can't walk for a month... Too many of these criminal scum think they can't be touched - and they are correct. This country has no space in the prisons for criminals anymore. They just spank their wrist and let em go. If they Caned the cr@p out of the offenders every time they got csught doing something like this, they would straighten up and then we would have a system that worked.

I'm still just hacked off like crazy.

Tinkerer 10-15-2002 10:34 PM

My wife constantly wants to leave her purse in the truck. I tell her to take it with her because someone might steal it. Her answer is that there isn't anything of value in it. I then tell her that the theif won't know that until after he has broken my window and she will still be missing a purse.

bobby daniels 10-16-2002 02:50 PM

HEY GUYS ,NOT A CURE BUT A BIG HELP ,,,,, 3M COMPANY AND OTHERS MAKE HURRICANE TINT THAT MAKES GLASS ALMOST UNBREAKABLE , IT WILL AT LEAST HOLD IT TOGETHER AND MAKE IT VERY HARD TO GET IN !!!:D :D :D
IT COMES IN CLEAR AND DIFFERENT TINTS

JUST AN LITTLE HELP,I LOST A PISTOL LIKE THAT :mad: :mad: