Reggie Fountain Talks Kilo Record, Returning to the Brand and More >

Reggie Fountain Talks Kilo Record, Returning to the Brand and More

Notices

Reggie Fountain Talks Kilo Record, Returning to the Brand and More

Old 08-11-2017, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it is a positive thing Reggie is back in boat biz! He is a legend and will build a boat that will run with anything out there. He has proven that more in history than any other boat builder IMO. The best thing I see is that there is a recovery of the performance boat industry in the air. Poker run numbers are up all over the country and in our boating area there are more and more go boats out every weekend. I also see a lot of 23 to 29 foot single engine boats with younger guys at helm and can only hope there is new generation of performance boaters coming through pipe line to keep fueling this great sport. Time will tell but Reggie coming back is also a big sign that recovery is in process.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Not really any different than it is with trucks and most other vehicles. A loaded 2500HD was 35-38k in 2002. They are 70k now.
Materials and labor cost have skyrocketed.
Labor cost? Has your wages increased the same percentage as the trucks?

Edit: Looks like that has been answered by a few people.

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 08-11-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:54 PM
Registered

How much of that increase to you think the higher tech lighter layups have played? If memory serves Shogen said a 42 Fountain was around 12-13K, what does a modern OL weight now?

But it is a valid point, OL kept changing the bottom designs, fountain of course didn't or for that matter even make anything.

Either way I think its a smart move on the companies current owners to bring Reggie back if not anything but the marketing part of it. Just look at any thread about him how long it carries on.

Originally Posted by hustlerguy
Some of you cant or haven't looked around lately. So production V bottom boats and speeds with the same power plants:
OL SL 41 700's stock #6 drive 115 ish mph
Fountain 42 700's stock #6 drive 102-103 mph
39 top guy cig 700's stock #6 drive 105 mph

OL SV 43 1350 merc Stock motor and drives 151 mph
Fountain 42 (Ben Robertson did the build and cut no corners look it up on You tube) 140 mph
https://youtu.be/0AjoyE13YMI

On a production style boat Fountain was at top of the game with the same speeds or better than anyone else with the same power and drive packages. 525's 700's 850's 1075's . But since they stopped progressing when they went out of business, the others that did not go out of business continued to make advancements. Progression does not ever sit still when someone is trying to progress.
I know alot of you dont want to admit it but the numbers dont lie. OL production boat speeds have surpassed the Fountains production boat speeds of 10+ years ago, The examples above are proof of this.

Now if Fountain does want to get back to the top I think they would need to do a complete change on the boats to get to the speeds OL has gotten on a production motor and production boat. OL changed there entire lineup and that started to change in about 2010-11. Does Reggie Sr. have the ability to try new things and close the gap? I would bet so. No right minded person should ever deny Reggie Sr. was and is one of the guys who led the way on making boats faster. Had he been still involved with fountain the last 10 years he probably would have evolved the boat a decent amount since it went bankrupt, but he has not been involved and the boat designs have not evolved.
That is not a Dig by any means on Reggie Sr. in fact I compliment him for the things he did while he was involved.

Will Fountain boats, the new parent company spend the money to retool and make all new sport power boats? IDK, that would be a tough call, they would need to invest alot of money to do so and with the shrinking market that is a tough call.
My gut feeling is they will go after the center console market with new boats since that is a growing market and offer the same sport boats of past and try to make some money back on the tooling and name they bought in the bankruptcy. Getting Reggie Sr. to say he's going to build a kilo boat and help in design and setup is getting his base of previous clients and fans all ramped up and the parent company is getting there money back they are paying Reggie Sr. if they can get a some people all ramped up to buy some new boats with the tooling and designs they got in the bankruptcy.

Some will probably be haters over this but I'm being fair and honest.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:40 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rvtransport
I think it is a positive thing Reggie is back in boat biz! He is a legend and will build a boat that will run with anything out there. He has proven that more in history than any other boat builder IMO. The best thing I see is that there is a recovery of the performance boat industry in the air. Poker run numbers are up all over the country and in our boating area there are more and more go boats out every weekend. I also see a lot of 23 to 29 foot single engine boats with younger guys at helm and can only hope there is new generation of performance boaters coming through pipe line to keep fueling this great sport. Time will tell but Reggie coming back is also a big sign that recovery is in process.
lots of young boaters doing this. I started at 22 years old with a 25 Baja. now days think more are into the wake boat stuff and they cost just as much as a 25-29' powerboat. maybe this whole OB craze will spark some 25-29' OB sport boats.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

So how many of the true Fountain fans are ready to pony up a huge bag of money if Reggie magically finds a few more MPH somewhere in the existing 38 or 42 hull, does a new dash, adds a few cup holders and some fancy new graphics ?

vs.

How many members of The Hull Truth buy new C.C.'s ?

Last edited by Interceptor; 08-11-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:37 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,106 Likes on 1,400 Posts

#MercuryGetsTooMuchForIt'sEngine/DrivePackages

I blame Mercury for crazy prices, not just the boat manufactures. Charge $30-$40k for a mediocre engine/drive so how the hell can a boat manufacturer sell a decent size single engine boat under $80k.

The 502MPIBravo conbo and it's price set the offshore world on fire. Seriously. Booming economy at same time.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:39 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,106 Likes on 1,400 Posts

Almost forgot - Reggie, Go, go, go !
Will be cool hearing him say this again.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
So how many of the true Fountain fans are ready to pony up a huge bag of money if Reggie magically finds a few more MPH somewhere in the existing 38 or 42 hull, does a new dash, adds a few cup holders and some fancy new graphics ?

vs.

How many members of The Hull Truth buy new C.C.'s ?

That is why I assume the builds you see R3' posting on FB are CC's and a few classics. Even so I remember a interview with Reggie a long time ago saying the fish CC market kept them alive. That was long before the current trend.

Even the fish guys want to get there fast! Lol
Old 08-12-2017, 03:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyMoney
Lets face it a Fountain guy really wants an Ol but a guy with an Ol has never said I should have gotten a Fountain. !
The former owner of Holy Smoke a canopied OL now has a fountain and seems happy with it.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Why do you think Reggie got into the CC fishing market in the first place?
Very smart move, he saw the potential in that segment of the market long before many others and I'm sure it paid a lot of bills at Fountain. I reckon he also saw more profit from CC's than sports boats but the sports boats, racing and flamboyant lifestyle was his passion so he kept it going as long as possible.

CC's are here to stay, Hi performance boats are a niche market aimed predominantly at people with bigger pockets than the average boater like me.

RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.