Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Reggie Fountain Talks Kilo Record, Returning to the Brand and More >

Reggie Fountain Talks Kilo Record, Returning to the Brand and More

Notices

Reggie Fountain Talks Kilo Record, Returning to the Brand and More

Old 08-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont believe the kilo boat of Joe's has ever done the shootout style event. Another full pleasure boat 43 with 1350's has run 150 at the shootout.
Joe's 43 with 1650's would be a lot quicker than that in the mile.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:05 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 798 Likes on 260 Posts

The Shootout course is also now 3/4 mile.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this not about the fifth rebirth of Fountain and still they have not gone anywhere? Until they change the decks of these boats they look like the same boat from day 1. Dash, interior everything is the same. The 38 they built was outdated when it was built. Bottom line is Fountain sold boats because of the price point and easy financing. Now that some nice used Ol's and twin stepped Cigs are affordable people are buying those over a new Fountain. Lets face it a Fountain guy really wants an Ol but a guy with an Ol has never said I should have gotten a Fountain. Hell if Ol built a 48' or 50' cruiser I would be game!
Old 08-10-2017, 05:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by hustlerguy
The Kilo record is for bragging rights plain and simple.
Most people should understand those boats are highly highly modified for 1 thing only. Going as fast as possible in a straight line on a flat course, entering the course at a top speed and hoping to carry it through to the end of the course. then turn around and do it again. Dont worry about turning, chop, waves, just go fast straight calm.
So why would that sell boats? Read what Mike F said about it on the links provided.
It was I'm sure a expensive venture for OL to take back the Kilo record but since they had the money and it was important to them they did it. Mike knew that it isnt going to sell more boats.

A race boat is cool, but imo its about like buying a toyota camry because it won a nascar race. The race boats are highly highly modified boats over how a regular boat is made.
Now in boating I would say the manufacturers did and still do use what they learned by making changes on the race boats to help them make changes to there new boats they build, so it is more relevant than nascar. I dont think you will ever see a toyota camry come with the technology used in a nascar track.

The old saying what wins on Sunday sells on Monday used to be true when the cars and boats were similar to what you bought on Monday but that is not the case in most forms of racing now a days.

You have a better chance of getting what most people can use or want on boats now a days to see what ran fast and smooth at a poker run or a shootout on a Saturday or Sunday to decide whats on there wish list to buy on Monday.
I Have said this for years, many people think these Kilo boats, or race boats are built to the same schedule as your pleasure boat, goes for any brand... the only thing the same if that even is the beginning mold... the rest is modified.... that again is any brand... Race/pleasure are totally different...
Old 08-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Reggie puts his mind to it, and it is something what the company wants to do then the Kilo record will be broken.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 219 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyMoney
Lets face it a Fountain guy really wants an Ol but a guy with an Ol has never said I should have gotten a Fountain.!
I cant speak on the second part of your comments , but the first part of your comment is wrong,,at least in my personal experience,

Last edited by boatnt; 08-10-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:18 AM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Why is it no one ever mentions all of the other Boat Manufacturers, and thier suppliers, that went out of business during the industry downturn? Seems the only one anyone remembers is Fountain.... what about Baja, Checkmate, Velocity, etc etc....??
Old 08-10-2017, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 755 Likes on 407 Posts

I know of one person on this site that went from an OL to a Fountain. Hell I'd be happier than a pig in poo to own either brand!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Registered

I would take a Fountain over an OL any day looks wise. Not a fan of all the round edges, rounded windshield, and the bustles. I love my old outdated looking 42' Lightning and it still gets compliments 26 years later. To each his own. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214091765954890&l=9fc8618d3f
Old 08-10-2017, 09:25 AM
Registered

I would take a Fountain over an OL any day looks wise. Not a fan of all the round edges, rounded windshield, and the bustles. I love my old outdated looking 42' Lightning and it still gets compliments 26 years later. To each his own. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214091765954890&l=9fc8618d3f

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.