Reggie Fountain Talks Kilo Record, Returning to the Brand and More

Notices

Reggie Fountain Talks Kilo Record, Returning to the Brand and More

Old 08-10-2017, 10:04 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyMoney
Is this not about the fifth rebirth of Fountain and still they have not gone anywhere? Until they change the decks of these boats they look like the same boat from day 1. Dash, interior everything is the same. The 38 they built was outdated when it was built. Bottom line is Fountain sold boats because of the price point and easy financing. Now that some nice used Ol's and twin stepped Cigs are affordable people are buying those over a new Fountain. Lets face it a Fountain guy really wants an Ol but a guy with an Ol has never said I should have gotten a Fountain. Hell if Ol built a 48' or 50' cruiser I would be game!
Agree with you about the 38 Fountain Lightning built last year, the interior, paint everything missed the mark. They tried going with something different and the market has spoken so far. Designs need to evolve not make a left turn to gain acceptance and consumer enthusiasm. I disagree on your assessment of the interiors, dash never changing at Fountain. The full stagger Lightning 35, full stagger 38 Lightning and 07 and up 42 Lightning had newly designed interiors, front bolsters, new rear bench/bolsters, dash layout, cabins. Colors and paint were being incorporated where plain white was the norm. The windshields were cut down around this time also. The boats were evolving and then production ground to a stop. The hulls were all updated early 2000s. Pretty much the same as Cigarette T/S 38 Top Gun evolution timeline, which has a T/S hull that is pretty much unchanged to this day. BUT and that is a big BUT, the 38 Top Gun has been produced, dialed in, and refined when Fountain was idle. The current 38 T/S Top Gun is tops in its class the cockpit is right on but the boat itself is essentially unchanged since it's introduction. Why not bash them too?
I have no brand bias, I have and would own many different brands of boats, cars, motorcycles, etc.. Outerlimits is at the top of their game, I would own one if it fit what we could use at this time. It does not. Would I take a Ferrari 458 over a C7 Z06? If they were the same money yes, but they are not. So painting everyone with your broad brush statement is ignorant on your part.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:28 AM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

For many people other than the addition of a bussel the OL's all look very similar to one another from year to year.... as do Cigarettes, Nor Tech's, Velocities and many other brands.... for the true connoisseur subtle difference such as no rub rail are very apparent.... how many times have you heard someone call a Fountain or OL a "Cigarette" boat? I don't believe a major overhaul of the appearance of Fountain is needed.... subtle improvements may bring back or gain a new customer....

How about adding a bussel to the Beak boat! Would that make it more marketable?
Old 08-10-2017, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's not broken don't fix it.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:02 AM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
If it's not broken don't fix it.
Can't tell you how many times I've wished I followed that advice....
Old 08-10-2017, 12:38 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 150 Likes on 62 Posts

if anything make a O/B powered sport boat. shorten the back pad make a bigger cockpit and 3 400Rs.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

It seems that Mr. Fountain's ability to stir emotion and passion from within this industry has not diminished during his absence from FPB. Best wishes to the entire Fountain team going forward.
It would be very interesting to see Fountain get the setup for the Merc QC4V packages dialed in to compare performance with other vee brands mentioned.
I wonder if any other brands have ever modified their bottom designs to emulate Fountain in an effort to gain performance or handling ?
Old 08-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Can you comprehend that the numerous owners of Fountain since 2010 have not produced even one 42 Lightning since Reggie filed for BK? Not one 42 Executioner, no 47's, no 35's, no 32's, no 29s or 27s -just one 38 Lightning and that thing is still for sale, and one 29 race boat - in seven freaking years. Rainy day fund or not since the financial collapse there has been no market for production sport boats - the business that Reggie was in. No one could have survived going from producing and selling 550 boats a year to just a handful over many years even if they had a rainy day fund - or even a rainy decade fund. It's a really really big factory - ever been to it?

Plain and simple you are a Reggie hater - good luck hating on a legend.
You say "no one could have survived" the last recession ? How about Nor-tech, Outerlimits, and Cigarette - those companies not only survived the same market conditions they prospered and are market leaders now - and without the benefits of going public either.

When Reggie took his company public and accepted millions of dollars from investors he had a fiduciary responsibility ( look up what this means ) to his investors which he totally ignored. In fact he wasted millions of investor's money on crap like helicopters and private jets that solely benefited him but didn't sell more boats or contribute towards a better return for his investors.

Like I mentioned in my first post, I give him credit for being an excellent designer and builder of fast boats. But as a CEO who was charged with building value for his investors he failed miserably. I only "hate" what he did to the poor investors who trusted him with their money and lost everything.

Last edited by FloridaDan; 08-10-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 906 Likes on 491 Posts

Reggie needs to build a new 42 Poker Run with 860's as a touring poker run boat.

Of course the name should be "Elvis is back in the boat building!"
Old 08-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poor investors???.....they got just what they bought....should'a....could'a....would'a. Reggie was the genius in picking the right time to exit!!!
Go Fountain,
Ben
Old 08-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaDan
You say "no one could have survived" the last recession ? How about Nor-tech, Outerlimits, and Cigarette - those companies not only survived the same market conditions they prospered and are market leaders now - and without the benefits of going public either.
He stated that companies going from 550 to a handful. Those builders you cited are the elite builders for elite earners, low production companies. Has OL or Nortech even built 550 boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.