RIP Bob Hammond- founder of Glastron and Hammond boats >

RIP Bob Hammond- founder of Glastron and Hammond boats

Notices

RIP Bob Hammond- founder of Glastron and Hammond boats

Old 08-13-2017, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts
Default RIP Bob Hammond- founder of Glastron and Hammond boats

I know there are many owners of older Glastron and Hammond boats on here so I thought I would post this. My father worked for Bob at both Glastron and Hammond boats and he was a long time friend of the family even after he left boat building and my father went on to Chris Craft. He was one of the biggest innovators in the boating world.
Robert Ray Hammond of Austin, TX passed away peacefully at home on August 6, 2017. He was 88 years old. Bob was born on September 28, 1928 in Okmulgee, OK. He was the only child of Minnie Atwood Hammond and Ray Charles Hammond. Bob graduated from the Oklahoma Military Academy in 1946 and proudly served in the U.S. Navy until his honorable discharge in 1953. In 1950, Bob married Bettye Ann Lawrence. The couple honeymooned in Acapulco and made their home in Tulsa, OK followed by Arlington, TX before moving to Austin in 1956. Bob will be remembered as an innovator in the recreational boating industry. He founded Glaston Boat Company in 1956 and became a pioneer not only in the manufacture of fiberglass boats but also in the promotion of the sport. He brought new designs, materials, production methods, propulsion systems and marketing strategies that benefited the industry and grew his company to become the largest boat plant in the world under a single roof and the industry sales leader. In 1974, Hammond resigned from Glastron to found the Hammond Boat Company. His business model was based on building a modest number of boats to high standards of excellence. In its second year of production, the company won PowerboatMagazine's prestigious "Boat of the Year" award. Bob sold his interests in 1983 and from that time was primarily involved in personal investments. Bob remained active in industry service throughout his career, serving on multiple boards. Bob received a National Marine Manufacturers Association award in 1998 recognizing his industry leadership. Previously, he was honored as Austin's Civic Salesman of the Year in 1971. Bob's lengthy and successful career began at Douglas Aircraft Corporation as a design engineer followed by serving the Lone Star Boat Company as the general manager of their fiberglass division. In addition to his rich career, Bob had many passions that kept him on the go. Ocean and marathon boat racing were among his hobbies. He was an enthusiastic tennis player and sports car nut. Bob was an instrument rated, multi-engine pilot, and owned and flew more than 20 different aircraft for business and pleasure. He flew in a U.S. Air Force F-4 Phantom at Bergstrom AFB, where Bob's support of the base and airman was legendary. Bob traveled the world and always looked forward to the next adventure; he was planning his next trip to Dubai to fulfill his dream of flying on the luxury A380. Bob is loved and missed by Bettye, his surviving wife, co-pilot and co-captain of 66 years. He is preceded in death by their children Ruthie and Don. Bird, a Hahn's Macaw, has been Bob's companion for the last 11 years; Bob was always teaching Bird new tricks. Bob is survived by many friends and colleagues. Bob was an active member of the Austin community, both civically and philanthropically. He fulfilled leadership roles in various organizations, including serving as director and member of the executive committee of American Bank in Austin and as a Vestryman at Good Shepherd Episcopal Church. Bob had an abundantly generous spirit and supported numerous local organizations close to his heart including Hospice Austin, the Salvation Army and Habitat for Humanity. In recent years, Bob had become increasingly involved with the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum and George Washington's Mount Vernon. Memorials may be made to any of these organizations in his memory. Son, nephew, husband, dad, pilot, innovator, leader, employer, friend, benefactor. No matter his role or relationship, all who knew him would agree these lyrics could have been written for Bob: I've lived a life that's full / I've traveled each and every highway / But more, much more than this / I did it my way. ~Frank Sinatra A celebration of Bob's life is pending.
Published in Austin American-Statesman on Aug. 12, 2017
Old 08-13-2017, 07:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like he lived it.

Godspeed.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:44 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/indus...astron-boat-co

Glastron has always sold well in Texas. I have always liked the Glastrons of the 80's. He has done good for boating.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Yes nice boats and don't forget the Glastron Carlson James Bond boats.

Padraig
Old 08-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

R.i.p.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks

I owned a Hammond 2150 Challenger. Mine had a Merc 260 with a B&M 144 blower. Loved it.

RIP Mr Hammond.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:51 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

RIP. What an awesome time he must have had in the heyday's of power-boating
Old 08-15-2017, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have a 1975 V162 Futura, with a 70 hp Johnson. Was the first boat I owned that actually functioned a majority of the time. I would love to find an old outboard Ski Machine to restore this winter. Great, timeless hulls. They might not be the best made or fastest, but I think they're some of the best looking boats out there.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hvymtl939
I used to have a 1975 V162 Futura, with a 70 hp Johnson. Was the first boat I owned that actually functioned a majority of the time. I would love to find an old outboard Ski Machine to restore this winter. Great, timeless hulls. They might not be the best made or fastest, but I think they're some of the best looking boats out there.
My mothers best friend, her husband had your boats twin back in the mid 1980's. Brings back some great memories. Most lakes and bays on the ocean, you can pay a small fee to transport Canada and have a mooring buoy. Its great for people that camp in our local lakes campground. Since you can keep a campsite all summer and basically use it like a cottage. And keep your boat on the lake.

info: Boating ? Cultus Lake Park

Anyway, her friends husband kept his boat near my parents and our other friends cottage all summer on a buoy. He gave me and my brother a key, so we could watch his boat when he wasn't there, etc. We could also use it, if we replaced the gas. So at 14, basically had pretty exclusive use of his boat most week days in the summer. It was a great boat, for us too water ski with.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Rest in Peace Mr. Hammond. Many of the best times of my life were had riding in a Hammond Challenger!